New
Find
Notify
Tools

26mm scope rings for the Ruger System?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know if rings are for the integral mounts on a Ruger #1 and made to hold a 26mm scope tube?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Anyone know if rings are for the integral mounts on a Ruger #1 and made to hold a 26mm scope tube?

No. But I have a Kahles 6X w/26mm tube I wanted to mount on my Ruger 1B in 7mm Rem. Mag. I just took a small length of 1" od iron pipe and glued a piece of emery cloth around it, and used this "tool" to polish the insides of the Ruger rings out until they'd slip over the scope tube. Worked great!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just have a good gunsmith set them up in a mill and use a boring bar. You get a nice very precise fit that way. I did a set for myself a month ago for my Pre 64 feather weight 243 with a 6x Swarovski.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is worth remembering whichever way you enlarge the rings, that it pays to put a spacer in between the halves of the rings to give the same gap at the sides as when clamping a 1" tube, this will then give the correct amount of clamp on the 26mm tube. I have a 2.5x Kahles & this worked well. A friend who had similar done with the scope rings clamped up with no gap found the rings wouldn't hold the scope enough & had to use a turn of tape on the scope tube.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Good point, Shinzo. I used a brake cylinder hone to open a set of rings. Took forever but it worked.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the the good advice men.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote