Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 SA 222rem
 Login/Join

<bendtsen>
posted
Hello Gents

I have just been offered a short action 700 in 222rem by a friend. My question would be is is possible to open up the boltface to 30-06 size or even mag size (.532) for us whith a WSM?
Being a Mauser guy my knowledge of 700's is somewhat limited, yet!

brgds
Bendtsen

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, opening the bolt is done a lot. You will have to install a Sako type extractor or do the machining to the bolt snout to permit a Remington extractor to be installed. In the US a lot of folks just trade bolts to get what they want.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako extractor mod is the way to go, but if you are thinking of going the WSM route, it may be a mistake. IMHO the Remington Short actions are too short for this cartridge and they probably would not feed correctly. Stick with something it was made for like the .308 or 7-08 etc. I do the Sako extractor for $105

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Bendtsen-----

The ejector is too close to the center of the bolt for the magnum cases but they work fine for 308 sized.

<bendtsen>
posted
Tx Alot

Will probably make a light 7-08 of it, for Roe and Fallow Deer.

Brgds
Bendtsen

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the 6 mm bore is legal for fallow/Roe deer why not a 6 X 45 (.223 w/ a 6mm bullet.... or the 6 X 47Imp ( a 222 RemMag w/ a 6mm bullet) ?

With 3000 fps , low recoil, noise and super accurate, certainly enough for a small deer.

<bendtsen>
posted
Unfortunatly min. is 6.5 mil for Fallow, sika, redstag, moose and boar. With a certain energy level also! Not that a 243 couldn't do it, but I would be in trouble with the law!

brgrds
Bendtsen