THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel plug during blasting, rusting, boiling??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

When you grit blast a barrel, what do you use to put the chamber and muzzle so as to prevent damage?

What kind of plugs do you use when rust bluing barrels when doing the rusting and the boiling?

(Told you there'd be more not very informed questions.)

Thanks very much?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Guys,

When you grit blast a barrel, what do you use to put the chamber and muzzle so as to prevent damage?

What kind of plugs do you use when rust bluing barrels when doing the rusting and the boiling?

(Told you there'd be more not very informed questions.)

Thanks very much?

You can use anything to plug during blasting. I've used tape, rubber plugs of various diameters, wood plugs whittled from dowel, even notebook paper rolled up in a tapered cone. Years ago I bought an Outer's Foul Out and I still use that breech plug for blasting.
Don't know anyone who plugs barrels to boil. You're asking for a problem becuse the expansion from heat will blow out the plugs.

For a while I painted the bores of my rifles but after a while I realized that boiling the bore of a hunting rifle had virtually no effect on the accuracy or life of a new barrel.

I'd be really reluctant to try on a match gun or someone's heirloom piece, just because. In that case I would go back to coating the bore with paint. I used Krylon spray clear lacquer but anything will do. Some are just harder to remove than others.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm probably in the minority but I quit removing the barrel from the action, too. I found that adding a little base (in my case a TBL spoon of 28% ammonia) to the last boil neutralized the residual acid and prevents any ongoing rust in the action/barrel joint. Last step, I heat some Royal Purple ATF above boiling and immerse the barreld action to drive out any residual moisture in the joint and replace it with oil. Some use regular ATF.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate,

We're in the same minority. I haven't had any problems with ongoing rust but I'm definately gonna do the ammonia and the ATF hot dip. thanks for the tip. I have a couple rust blue jobs coming up here pretty soon.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For blasting, I tap a bullet into the muzzle just far enough to stick.

Chamber end used to get an empty case and then tape on the threads. Now I made an aluminum handle threaded to screw on the barrel and seal the chamber. I don't like to abrasive blast the threads. I even screw a stub barrel into the action when blasting it. Glass beading probably doesn't matter, but aluminum oxide is a little rough.

I have varnished the inside of the bore before boiling, but now I just boil 'em bare.

But then I don't build target rifles.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tigger, Does that ATF bath take the place of water displacing oil bath? Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I use wooden plugs.

Turned on the lathe with a gental taper and driven into the bore and chamber. I also coat the bore with grease.

Sounds like I might be worry wort though.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a couple CM barrels in competition that had been hot blued without plugs. Shot just the same. I see no problems. On the rust blue, if you clean properly, I can't see how it would be a problem.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in Michigan:
Hey Tigger, Does that ATF bath take the place of water displacing oil bath? Mike

Yes, used instead of. But I was typing faster than I can think. I don't put the barreled action in hot oil. I put it in early and bring it up to temp. I think that's a safer procedure.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I heat some Royal Purple ATF above boiling.

That takes a little doing. What heat source are you using to get the stuff that hot?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I just got called by someone else on that. I meant above the boiling temp of water.

I guess I misunderestimated my audience bewildered

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got called by someone else on that. I meant above the boiling temp of water.

That's okay, we're a bunch of dumb asses on this forum. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
I heat some Royal Purple ATF above boiling.

That takes a little doing. What heat source are you using to get the stuff that hot?

I bake it in the oven for two hours @350 or until tender. Big Grin

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

That's okay, we're a bunch of dumb asses on this forum. Big Grin

We all seem to have certain common sets of genes, anyway thumb

posted Hide Post
For bead blasting, I use the foam roll up ear plugs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea!! I need to do that. I keep getting the grit in my ears.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Butch you should reduce the angle of the nozzle to about 62.5 degrees.