THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ultrasonic Parts Washers-does your shop have one?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultrasonic Parts Washers-does your shop have one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
so we have one of these in the gunsmithing department of our store. Full size commercial unit, heated, etc....all $7k of it sits idle most of the time as our lead 'smith has had to refinish several guns that it has damaged the finish on. Doesnt clean very well either on the really tough carbon, grunge etc and you cannot soak in it. Manufacture warns up front that it damages anodized finishes but we have had it damage blued finishes, KG type finishes etc....all with the recommended water based soap the man. recommends. They say they have NEVER seen this. Having just seen a rust blued 28" barrel's finish ruined from end to end in (2) 4 minute runs I find this uh... unbelievable.

DO ANY SMITHS HERE RUN ONE OF THESE IN YOUR SHOP AND WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE?

THANK YOU

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were some pistol sized units at the shot show last year pretty cheap so picked up a couple and they have been working fine. No damage to blue or anodising but will now watch out for that. It is easier to have the two so we don't have to change the liquid out every time. I thought it funny that each unit was issued with a nylon cleaning brush. I guess they can't do everything for us. Bummer on the "rust blue".

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem if I left in to long, say 3 or 4 hours usin a water base clean. I use simple green, using the simple green lemon really stripped the blue off of parts.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't put guns in mine, but mainly use it to clean up grungy trigger assemblies and such. I just run Simple Green in it, and it works great. If you're having problems with it removing finishes, you might try the stuff Brownells sells for use in ultrasonics.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Ultraman

Can you post pictures of the rust blued barrel? In what way was it damaged?

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ours is full of Kroil.

LOL.

It's sort of a "scented" cleaner.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a Stainless Dan Wesson in the tank today and got sidetracked. After about 6 hours the trigger and hammer turned black. The rest is fine. Fortunately it was my own gun.

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm kinda cheap so i;m attempting to come up with one made from an old vibrating sander. Big Grin
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote