Tools

Replacement Stock help/poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted

Question:
Hey Folks,
Got an older Mod 70 (Post 64) Short Action (243) that I picked up years ago. It was a "truck" 'yote whacker that had seen much better days.
Any way a few years back I thought it would be a good idea to stop the rusting on the barrel and action by getting the whole thing nickel plated. (it was cool looking) Well I am not sure but I think when they did the acid dip the bore wasn't protected well. Anyway I got a hold of another barrel and I am getting it back soon. (just blued)
The thing of it is the stock has a pretty good crack that runs through where the bolt handle cut-out is. (besides that it is beat to bad to refinish) I picked a cheap peice of plastic when I plated it but I know it is a POS and am wanting to replace it.
So now, after babeling away, I will get to my question:
If you were working on this project and had any option for a new stock, which would you do and who's (Manufacturer) would you use. I want to do it right this time. (amazing what a little aging will do to ya)

Thanks,
Smedley

Choices:
A "take-off"
Laminate
Synthethic
Wood
Winchester Replacement

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
FWIW
I just purchased a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for my new Howaby Vanguard. Got it for under $200 (I have dealer pricing at Midway). The Medalist has the aluminum bedding block. Stock is super stiff and needed very little sanding to fit the action. Excellent stock for the money.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=315648

ZN

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote