New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP - Custom Rifle Choices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Help needed deciding on a custom rifle builder.

I have it narrowed down to HS-Precision or NULA???

Any personal experiences, thoughts, and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MIBIGHNTR

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a HS Precision Pro Hunter Model and really like the gun. Hard to beat the value.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
MIBIGHNTR,

I have bought rifles from both of them, but for different reasons. Each of them has definite strengths.

If you consider the scale of their respective operations I would label H-S Precision a semi-custom shop, and Mel Forbes' operation at NULA a custom shop.

If you like a product from the H-S line, then go for it; if, on the other hand, you want a particular rifle with the features you want go with NULA.

Can you describe for us what attracts you in the rifles for each?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the ultralight weight concept of the NULA's vs. the HS's. Would this be noticable in the field?

I was hoping to get a stainless action. NULA doesn't offer a stainless action, HS does.

I am also not sure about the NULA's not being floated. I have been brain-washed (good or bad)into thinking that a barrel must be floated to shoot well. NULA's aren't floated, HS are.

I have always shot Remington 700's, so NULA's actions are more familiar to me. HS's look like Winchester, which are not familiar to me.

Both claim excellent accuracy, who knows???

HS only chambers SAAMI cartridges, NULA will do almost anything.

With the NULA's, I really like the idea of getting a .22 Rimfire, built as a clone to their centerfire rifles, to practice with. HS has no rimfire.

Decisions, decisions........ [Confused]

I am really floundering on this one.

I am waiting for one of you guys just to tell me what to buy and back it up with all kinds of wonderful experiences and stories! [Big Grin]

Thanks!

MIBIGHNTR

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth! I've never picked up a rifle that had an H-S stock that felt "good" to me and I've never picked up one of Mel Forbe's UltraLights that didn't feel like it was made for me.

I've also never heard anyone who had either do anything but brag about the accuracy and from what I've seen they both are capable of more accuracy than most shooters can use.

For myself I don't think I would shoot an Ultralight in much more than a 30/06 or 7mm Mag because of the light weight....I owned and shot a 257AI UltraLight for awhile and it was a great little rifle....very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote