THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone Strip the finish on a Kimber 84 and rust blue?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Strip the finish on a Kimber 84 and rust blue?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a problematic Kimber 84, no matter what I do, it rusts. It has that pebbly finish on the barrel and removing the rust mechanically will remove the finish.

Can I just rub it down with a scotch brite pad and steel wool to remove it all, including the receiver? If so, is it them basically ready to rust blue?

Do not want a spray on finish, thought it might be a good one to try rust bluing. Figure if I screw up, it doesnt hurt anything.

Thank you.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry Kimber pistols in my shop and had a good deal of rust problems with them. Easiest way is to glass bead blast, then rust blue immediately. Produces a stellar matte blue finish.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
Have a problematic Kimber 84, no matter what I do, it rusts. It has that pebbly finish on the barrel and removing the rust mechanically will remove the finish.

Can I just rub it down with a scotch brite pad and steel wool to remove it all, including the receiver? If so, is it them basically ready to rust blue?

Do not want a spray on finish, thought it might be a good one to try rust bluing. Figure if I screw up, it doesnt hurt anything.

Thank you.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on when your gunstock was made...I put the finish on it. 81-87 Kimber of Oregon Head finisher. The finish is an alkyd urea catalyzed finish. Use a Marine Grade stripper for the best results. IF the barrel has a pebbly finish, are you sure you do not have a Custom Match rifle? Ifso, keeping the gun looking like it does is an advantage as their prices are sky high now. The metal was bead blasted first and then hot tank blued. It was called "Rust type" bluing in the magazines. Rust bluing is better IMO.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input.

Mr Smith - unfortunately this is not one of yours, it is a recent 84L for Kimber of America. Can oild it all I want and it will rust. Very frustrating. Love their guns but this one drives me nuts!

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try using paste wax on it. Johnson's works well for me.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust bluing is simple, yet you must adhere to certain procedures. It is imperative to completely degrease the metal. When sanding or buffing there is no need to go finer than 320-400 grit, the rust bluing process will bite it back to about that sheen.

I have used about all the rust bluing products and have settled on Laurel Mountain and now that is all I use. It is by far the most forgiving of the solutions. Rust blue is an excellent blue which wears well.
Phil

Posts: 359 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote