New
Find
Notify
Tools

Locktite on rifle barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if Remington or Winchester use Locktite or a similar substance when they assemble the barrel to the action? If they do, what's the best way to overcome the Locktite? Thanks!

-- Scott

Posts: 47 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some type of compound on Remington barrel threads from the factory. I warm the barrel and receiver to "too hot to hold" with a propane torch or heat gun, just before barrel removal. Seems to help quite a bit. Don't know about Winchesters.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, and this stuff appears to make up for very poor thread fits between the barrel and the receiver. Just another production shortcut. I do not think it is LocTite, as the color is wrong and it does not have as strong a bond as true LocTite.

A good thread mating, with well machined threads, does not need any type of locking compound. Just lube the threads and torque properly.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Scott,

The stuff Remington uses smells exactly like Loc-tite although like John says, it doesn't seem to provide any lock. Torque will overcome the stuff. I've never encountered any problems pulling Remington barrels with the stuff on it. I've not had any problems pulling Winchester barrels either. The only barrel I've ever had any serious problem with was a Browning Stainless Stalker. If you encounter any difficulty, then "warm" the action with a propane torch.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
John Ricks:

What is original Loctite ??? There are 3 levels of strength in proffesional line. I use "270" (high strength) for tighting bolts of my guns with fine result. Now, I have also thread bonders by Novato with Activator, bond is tight in 30 seconds, also 3 levels of strength. Wurth and other companies make near the same products.

But what about loctite neck bonder (alternative to crimping) ?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Malmborg:
Scott,

The stuff Remington uses smells exactly like Loc-tite although like John says, it doesn't seem to provide any lock. Torque will overcome the stuff. I've never encountered any problems pulling Remington barrels with the stuff on it. I've not had any problems pulling Winchester barrels either. The only barrel I've ever had any serious problem with was a Browning Stainless Stalker. If you encounter any difficulty, then "warm" the action with a propane torch.

Good luck,

Malm

Loctite is a very sweet substance. It contains 1-3% saccharin. I'm not kidding. I don't know why it's in there, but the MSDS says it is (you can check this out at the Loctite web page; the MSDS's give the compositions of all the Loctite formulas). I accidentally tasted some once, and by golly, it is very sweet.

The copycat generic products out there could contain saccharin too, so this may not be a reliable test for genuine Loctite.
H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jiri,
I see you are a student in the Czech republic a place that needs no history leason about war I guess. With all due respect to your little joke and mind, fuck off.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin in NY,
Right on buddy! Right fucking on!!!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
Hey Jiri,
I see you are a student in the Czech republic a place that needs no history leason about war I guess. With all due respect to your little joke and mind, fuck off.

EXACTLY [Mad] [Razz]

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the Loc-tite. I suspect this compound came into use by Remington in an attempt to exclude bluing salts from the barrel/receiver joint. They had problems with salts growing out of the joint. As point out, this compound has little adhesive strength but does fill the ugly gaps Remington is so good at producing! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,
I doubt that you will find many in agreement with you on this board, were all Republicans, believe in Motherhood and apple pie, and don't take to your kind of crap! We don't support anyone that gasses thousands of depressed people and we don't want to see another Auswitch, or the killing fields of Nam, because some liberal SOB likes to whine....

I might add if it was not for mealy mouth liberals such as you then perhaps Saddam would have buckled under and come around..But jerk offs like you and the Germans and French and Russians gave him confidence..

I like that cowboy in Washington, he has a faith in God, good moral principle and right or wrong he does what he thinks is best, more than I can say for old blow job Bill...so take your cause to Babling Barb Striesand, Geo. Cloony, Ed Harris, Martin Sheen and the whole Hollywood clan, but hurry as they are all dieing of aids....you will get along better there....

Just my opine, since you bothered to piss me off.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Don't bother with the other boards either, We support each other. Even when our governments don't.
Saddam must go.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
If loctite is aplied to a lubricated surface, you get a bit of hold, but not that welded on hold like a dry fit with loctite. I wonder if thats what they are doing? Just so the bbls will still come off.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ray.

Jiri has been hanging around the Politics forum and whining about things he hasn't the guts to do anything about himself. Once again American fighting men will pay for the freedom enjoyed by a country like Jiri's where the whiners did nearly nothing to earn but nevertheless take advantage of.

Jiri is just another gutless whiner; unfortunately the world is full of them.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Bill Leeper hit the nail on the head. It's used for sealing out the blueing salts. This technique, when done properly, will work with great results. A little preliminary heat with a propane torch is all that is necessary to get them to move though.

As for Jiri, you sure picked the wrong place to start spilling your shit. That's okay though, because in a few days, Iraq is gone have more glass than sand. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
If you hurry though, you might be able to get some protesting in over there before they evaporate the place. One-way tickets are probably going pretty cheap. Maybe expedia.com could help you out. [Smile]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Did I attack you ? Why you attack me. I only wrote about Loctite, what is your problem ?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got attacked because of the "Too Stupid to be..." link, you stupid fuck, that's fucking why!

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Jiri,

Are you really that stupid??? You got attacked because you are mocking the President of the United states. In case you cant see it, its in your signature. You're about as dumb as a stump sucking horse.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
OK, somebody have in signature "make a nuclear strike", it is OK . . but I have "Too stupid . . ." and it is wrong . . . . everybody could say Saddam is evil but nobody can say GWB is stupid . . . Thank you all very much, now I understand USA democracy and liberty perfectly . . .

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,
The next thing your gonna be telling us is that the brightest minds in history are running the government of your country. Get a life.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Hey Jiri,
Before you start getting the wrong idea about how stupid our president is, why don't you find out what kind of education that he has. I'm sure surpasses your piss poor intellect.

Here's a link

The Bush Administration's Credentials

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
There is a reason every immigrant in the world is begging and sneaking to get into the good old USA!!! We are the only country in the world that has their shit together. And we have to police the world cause all the pussies of the world are to scared to stand up to a tyrant. They blew up our people and atleast Bush has the balls to declare a war on terror. Saddam is a terrorist and he is the next stop on the train. Jiri, you don't like the USA then don't even bother using our guns and products anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeri,
At least he won't be getting a blow job in the oval office while Rome burns..

If we are a country of "good people", we can never allow another Hitler to commit such atrocities you dumb shit...

Go play someplace else, you just stepped into a whole bunch of good old American boys that just don't like assholes who condem a good, God fearing man like Pres. Bush who does what he thinks is right as opposed to what is politically correct....

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote