Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 12 barrel mounting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whoa there!

I recently bought a replacement barrel for my original Winchester Model 12 20 gauge. It is the recent production one from Browning for their Model 12 reproduction, which I was told would fit. The problem is that where the original barrel has interrupted threads that join the receiver, the new model has a somewhat smaller shank and continuous fine threads. Is there some kind of bushing that threads on to the new barrel to provide a fit?

Thanks in advance to you Model 12 experts.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The interrupted thread section is the bushing and allows wear to be adjusted. I believe installation of the new barrel requires some headspacing by a qualified smith.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
stonecreek---

Stocker got it right. The interupted threads are on a bushing that has to be set for headspace and fitted to the header ring inside the action.

I'd STRONGLY suggest taking it to a gunsmith that does a lot of them. It takes special tooling and some fairly complicated 'smithing to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I couldn't see that there was a bushing on the original barrel, but the light was poor and the eyes aging. After I thought about it awhile, I knew there must me an explanation.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk: After all the shells I've put through model 12's you would think I would know the answer to this next question, but I don't. Cared for, very little goes wrong with them other than the occasional extractor or ejector, minor problems of timing etc. Any how the question is: when replacing a barrel and headspacing does it involve fitting the thread length of the barrel by cutting the barrel shank or cutting the adjusting sleeve to correct length to get the right draw on the barrel -or both? I keep hoping someone will come out with an aftermarket with tubes that looks good. Would love to get my goose gun safe for steel without worry about the tube. Thanks.

<JBelk>
posted
stocker---

I don't know either!! That's why I suggested he find somebody that does a bunch of them....they should know how! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

In gunsmithing school there were a batch of tools for machine shop projects that were needed to fit M-12 barrels. I was more of a rifle guy and picked projects better suited for riflesmithing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack. Maybe Simmons can/will do this work? If not I think they could direct the gent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone Creek, You didn't indicate whether or no you intended to use original barrel as a prop against the chicken house door. If this new barrel is to be the only one on the receiver section You really ought to get a new receiver chamber ring. The fitting of a new barrel and extension, sleeve , etc can be a time eater because the final reaming is (supposed to) cut the ring to fit the barrel concentrically and continuously. This means the old barrel then must be reamed to match the increased inside dia. of the chamber ring. Often back and forth, cut and try. No sweat with one barrel, but It isn't too sensible to make the qualifying fit any larger than necessary. A new ring will also take up any wear in the bolt locking notch in receiver because it is the rim seat for headspacing and will be counterbored properly by the experienced operator of "The Winchester Take Down Tool Set"..
The T.D. M12's do NOT follow standard Chamber taper or diameter Specs. Barrel thread sleeves came in 6 sizes (and 2 more that you could only get through an employee's lunch bucket delivery system). If this was not a 2 3/4 chambered 12 you will also need to have some receiver alterations to handle 2 3/4 length shells. In the days of the old roll-over crimp the ejection port had to be lengthened also. Todays shells will eject most of the time even though still a tad long for the port. I hated it but it was nevertheless an excellent shotgun, though I still don't have lighted votive candles under T.C. Johnsons picture. Some prejudices just die hard. T.C. was the major designer. Long established shotgun gunsmithery just might be your best choice for fitting.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ugh! It didn't look that complicated when I started out on this little project! Sounds like it may exceed the competency of my pair of ViseGrips, my Taiwanese screwdriver, and my Black and Decker cordless drill.

I'd like to preserve the original barrel as a usable alternative, so it sounds like I will be out some time and expense on fitting.

Also, I didn't mention that at the same time I also bought a Browning replacement barrel for a Model 42. It appears to be identical in the way it mounts, so I assume everything that has been said about the Model 12 applies equally to the Model 42? The replacement barrel has a 2 1/2" chamber, while the original barrel was rechambered for 3" shells. If I'm going to have to take it to a gunsmith anyway, I might as well have the new barrel chamber lengthened. Anything to watch out for in this process?

<'Trapper'>
posted
Stonecreek:
If I might make a suggestion here - why don't you think about a COMPLETE barrel assy for the Mod 12? That's the way they were supposed to work. I don't know how much the tube, clamp, forearm wood and metal, etc would cost but consider what you would have - quarter turn, slide one of, slide other on, quarter turn, lock and you're in business!
Regards,

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Stonecreek,

I sent you an email.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapper: That's a nice solution but the new assembly still has to be fitted and headspaced to the existing receiver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
" If I might make a suggestion here - why don't you think about a COMPLETE barrel assy for the Mod 12?"

I know you are SUPPOSED to cut your receiver chamber extension bushing to fit the chamber for the new barrel. You would normally use a new one and fit it. I was able to get away with just swapping complete front ends. I assembeled a new barrel, tube and pump handle from parts. I set the wear compensating bushing and it worked fine. No muss or fuss. I now have a 28" Full and a 26" improved clinder barrel assembly for the same receiver. I think I got lucky. I did use all original parts, not a new barrel. The danger is the ring in the receiver not lining up with the barrel properly. But, in my case it came out just right without any ajustment.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote