New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Kobe: the Master...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several weeks ago, I bought a 450/375 Ultra Magnum barrel, dies, brass, with reamers and go-no gauges here. It had come off a Rem700, so the threads needed to be recut to fit the OM70.

Shortly after the first of the year, James Kobe listed a pre-WWII OM 70 action that had been "stretched" to take the 375 H&H cartridge. He made me a very good price on the action, and agreed to fit, chamber, and headspace the barrel to the action, and take care of any feeding issues.

He thought four weeks or a bit longer, so late February to early March. I sent him the parts and a deposit two weeks ago.

I got an Email this morning, in addition to doing the work, he made me a set of bases to take Talley QD rings, and sent me a balance due note.

His quote on the feeding issues going to a RUM case" "it feeds like a snake thru a sewer."

I got to the bank, and a draft is on its' way to him as I type.

The pictures of the bases look as if the action was milled with them integral.

The old quote" speed, cost, and and quality; pick two is often applied to custom work.

In this case, I have gotten all three.

Thank You James Kobe,

Rich

I'll post the pictures of the bases shortly.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!
What are you expecting velocity wise with a 500gr bullet?

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Rich, I've seen his work firsthand, both at Cabela's in Owatonna, MN and also at the Minneapolis Gun Show where he was displaying his wares. I must say the craftsmanship is an honest reflection of of old world craftsmanship and attention to detail. It's what we should all strive for in our daily lives, no matter our business.

Congratulations.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should contact Dave Wesbrook about stock to finish this up.

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by euge:
Maybe you should contact Dave Wesbrook about stock to finish this up.

rotflmo

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh chit -now you've gone and done it. inflated his ego - up go the prices -now he'll want me to bring him something decent for a change

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

rumors abound that you are considered the ugly red-headed stepchild by certain unnamed gunsmiths in the land of ten thousand lakes...

Rich
jumping

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't go giving Kobe a big head. He did some checkering for me years ago and left me with a bunch of little uniform diamonds in the middle. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
////////////CAUTION ////////////
SPELL CHECK IN PROGRESS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here are the pics Rich

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is there some hidden meaning here?

quote:
Originally posted by Logger2:
////////////CAUTION ////////////
SPELL CHECK IN PROGRESS

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good use of an old recoil pad...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe 21,

this is basically a 460 G&A. It is just easier to use the 375 RUM and simply neck it up to .458.
In addition, if you take it to Africa they check headstamps VS barrel markings. Mine is stamped 450/375 RUM so it gets through.

2400fps.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Hey, so that's where my little Gerber folder went to... I had one of those for 20 years and lost it, putting it somewhere "safe" so I didn't get it confiscated, post-9/11.

Love the recoil pad, great idea.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A7Dave, Looks like a CUTCO to me. Have one in my pocket right now.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with A7Dave, Gerber... From what I can see, anyway.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Gerber, a shop knife. I had another and it disappeared.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Those little Gerber's are one of my FAVORITE items.

Always have mine with me, unless I'm flying.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It arrived a few minutes ago. The metalwork looks even better in person. Fill the magazine with dummies, and, as Jim said " it feeds like a snake thru a sewer system..."

I now know where to get any metal work done in the future.

Thanks,

Rich

PS: the rifle will hold four rounds, easy three down, and the fourth will depress far enough for the bolt to pick it up.
6130fpme X 4 shots = 24,520 ft/lbs by time it goes click!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may have your missing knife Jim. Well, one that looks exactly like, anyway.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I may have your missing knife Jim. Well, one that looks exactly like, anyway.

Me three, Gerber.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had several Gerbers like that the kids seemed to have lost all of them.

Should be a nice rifle.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote