New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby on Pre 64 Win Mag length action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can this be done? If so what is involved?

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
For what it's worth from my side of the vise. In short the Pre-64 is not an action to use for making a 416 Rigby. The action is to short, the bolt face does not have enough rim material at the 3 O clock position when opened up to control a round coming out of the magazine box nor is the std large ring 98 for that matter (its just enough for the std belted mag) The thread OD is fine for std belted mags but not for Rigby sized case no matter how you do it. I know it's been done before, even Winchester has tried some, that doesn't change the fact that it's a bad idea.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trax, I was afraid that would be the case.

I also have a 30-06 pre 64 action, can one of these be re-worked to 416 Ruger? And, I have a 30 Rem (17 Endfield) action, could this be reworked into a 416 Rigby?

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DArcy Echols I know has built a one-off Pre64 .375 Ruger,[began as 9,3x64, so I gather the donor was a std.cal pre64]
..that apparently, was no easy beast to get to feed the Ruger case.
DArcy used a custom magazine and follower that allowed 4 down.
Whether you technically really need all that to simply have a functional pre64.416 Ruger, im not sure.

I believe Mr.Echols has been involved in the building of Enfields in .416rem and .416Rigby.

DArcy is not the only one that frowns on the idea of a pre64 .416Rigby,...and there are a few respected smiths that approve of a .416 Enfield.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote