Find
Notify
Tools

MAUSER 96 AMERICAN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HELLO THE CAMP FIRE:
I need some help with a Mauser. It is a Model 96 American with a straight pull bolt in 7 mm Rem Mag.
The fool that owned it sold the Redfield rings and base intending to put something else on it. The front and back of the receiver are differant hights, kinda like a ruger and I am having a heck of a time find ing bases or a one piece that will level out so the scope does not piont sky ward.

Its a blast to shoot, and quick ias heck to shoot, but a little hard to get used to.
My g-smith told ne that he might be able to shim the base but it would be better to get the right thing. Eveyone I hae called about this tries to send me mod 96 small ring bases. They don't work. neither do mod. 700 bases. more bad info.

Thanks
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I suggest contacting the manufacturer. Here is a link to them.

http://mauser.com/index.php?id=109&lang=en

Also Sarco has the rifles, they may have the mounts also.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser96.html

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Judge, I don't know who you've contacted but NECG is pretty tied up in the German Gun Collector's Association and might know more about the Model 96 than some. I'm pretty sure they can get EAW bases and rings for it, though pricey. Conetrol tends to have a pretty good selection of odd-balls too. Worst case, you can send it to Jim Brockman who'll fit a set of Talley bases for it fast and reasonable. They won't be shimmmed; he'll mill them to fit. So could Pernrod, Stratton or some others discussed here.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
The great thing about this forum is the info you can get with a click. Does anyone know much about the history of this Model Mauser? This one is the first I have run across. Once I realized that lifting the bolt handle did not do anything, it shot great. LOL It is hard to re-train old habits.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, it was produced with the American market in mind. It is a modernization of a similar mechanism designed by a Mauser engineer before or during WWII if I recall. The model designation reflects their year of release; 1996.

They are fine rifles that just didn't catch on here. I think you can buy additional barrels and magazines for it if you shop around. IIRC, that action will go up to 375 H&H.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote