New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clip for 98 Mausers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Visited my gunsmith last eve. and he showed me a device which takes the place of the std. floorplate of a 98 Mauser and is an in line clip device which merely snaps in the bottom. Seemingly well made and a bit on the heavy side, but w/ knurled/serrated grip areas on either side to provide quick removal when needed. Am building a 300 Win. mag and was told they make one for magnum calbiers as well and would seem to offer a very practical and useful device. Anyone else had any experience with the device, good or bad??

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Buy it if you want but my bet is you'll regret it. If you want firepower buy a black rifle or an M1A, something that's meant to use detachable magazines.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I had a couple & didn't like them. Sold them asap!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far two nays and no ayes! Fully understand about the firepower matter, shot 15/16's and M14/M1A's for several years in matches and no question they work well. However, my thought about the clip attachment was along the lines of having three rounds ready to go and easy to carry extra loaded mag?? No modifications required to the firearm, inline feed should be dependable, but I appreciate your input on the item. Was told my cost somewhere in the low twenty buck range and if not a plus item, not a fortune tied up in it. Again thanks for the input.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am building a 300 Win. mag and was told they make one for magnum calbiers as well

I've seen the ones made by Gibbs in the 06 & 308 style haven't seen a magnum but they might exist. The ones I've seen appear to reduce capacity not sure if a magnum would allow capacity for 3. The magazine takes up room in the front rear and both sides of a mag area originally designed for a 7or8X57 case.

I can stick a couple in from the top as quick as I can stick a magazine in.

Make it 3 nays.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have a Gibbs one - not sure if I like it or not .

It tends to rattle just enough to be noticeable - which annoys me off enough to consider selling it .

Looks snazzy though , and is certainly easy to install/ take out - but you do loose mag capacity...

I guess I really am a vote against ....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The matter of reduced space due to the walls of the clip itself had not occured to me, but would definitely do just that. I am a slow learner, but not so slow that I will not listen to sound advise. (On to bigger and better gadgets is what I will do!)
I should practice what I preach to shooters I used to coach and that is spend your money on bullets and powder, rounds down range, etc. and you will be a much better shooter than those spending money on "gear." Input and sound advise much appreciated.