New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restocking bolt action rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rifle is a Sako Greywolf in 300 win mag and currently has a laminate stock. I have ordered a replacement walnut stock from Baretta. I have never restocked a rifle before. My question is this something I can do myself or would I be bettter off to take it to a gunsmith?

Posts: 78 | Location: Alaska  | Registered: 22 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That is and absolute yes or maybe a no answer!
If you are handy then give it a try, if you find you are in over your head take it to someone.
If you aren't so handy, take it to somebody...

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this case, it should be a simple matter of just changing stocks. Beretta will have done all of the hard stuff except final bedding. You should not receive a semi-inletted stock from them. Glass bedding an action is fairly easy to do...just follow the directions on the packaging...COMPLETELY!! Do not take short cuts you "feel" should be OK. You may take it to a gunsmith if you wanted to. A stockmaker would be better however.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you get some tuteledge prior to jumping in head first. Find a good stockmaker and observe and let him help you..He will save you a multitude of mistakes..

Inletting is easy, wipe it on and scrape it off mostly, but with a lot of tricks to it, that one learns as he goes..Its not black magic as some proclaim shaping a stock is "knowing what a stock should look like and feel like" that may be the hard part, some folks just know and others never will.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys for the replies. I don't want to learn on this rifle so I will take it to someone. I have a good gunsmith in town. Don't know of any stock makers in Anchorage. If anyone has any recommendations that would be helpful. Thanks Paul

Posts: 78 | Location: Alaska  | Registered: 22 April 2015Reply With Quote