Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser custom feed HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Just finished a new project based on a untouched Erfurt Mauser action chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a match spec chamber. Cartridge gets "tight" after the bolt is moved about 3/4 of the way home under normal forward pressure. If the bolt is cycled vigorously, it cycles fully albeit a bit tight on the "turn". Scope mount screws with standard spacing seem to be clear (I didn't feel anything with my finger) and cartridge case only has a minor fine scratch or two on the side. I noticed a diagonal rub mark on the bolt that starts to the left of the right lug and ends behind the left lug. Other than that, I see no aparent problems. Cartridges are factory Hornady match 140 grain AMAX with a polymer tip. Could I just polish the ramp a bit? I'm not a gunsmith so I would rather not just try somethng to see if it works. Thanks again. Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
By the way, the bolt cycles freely without a cartridge.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to strip the bolt completely; no firing pin assembly or extractor, then try it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Do you envision a tight extractor at the rim or an oversized Hornady case rim? Thanks Jim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect, and that is the key word, it is a tight chamber.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently finished a .243 on a 1946 K. Kale Turkish action. The shorter and slightly fatter case at the shoulder was giving me simular feeding problems. The shorter case was trying to exit the magazine at a steeper angle (sideways) than the 8x57 cases and hanging up right at the feed ramp. When it did feed, it scored dent longways on the case starting at the shoulder about halfway down the side. I widened the feed rails slightly right behind the ramp until the cases came out of the magazine staighter, more in line with the chamber. I ground and polished until it fed smoothly without marking the cases. There are a couple of sharp edges and corners under the front of the feed rails to direct the 8x57 cases that I blended and smoothed up. I didn't change the feed ramp except to polish it. It took several grinding, polishing and reassembly times to get it to feed properly,as i didn't want to take out too much. I hope this helps, Mark Poley

Mark
Acts 4:12-13;Romans 8:29

Posts: 47 | Location: Yellville, AR | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may not have read your post correctly, is the bolt pushing the cartridge out of the mag box when it gets stiff? If so, Poley may have your answer. I had a similar problem trying to get a 284 Win case to feed from an Argie.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark and JK. I believe that the cartridge is in line with the chamber when it has resistance. But, I'll double check tonight. I cycled the cartridge briskly several times recently and now have numerous scratches on all sides of the case yet no dings or distortion/dents or scuffs there or on the bullet. Seems obvious now that I just need to polish the chamber wall a little at a time to see if there is any improvement. May as well give the top of the ramp a polish as well. I'm thinking dry 0000 steel wool wrapped around a wooden dowel might do the job. Sound good gentlemen? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt -

If it is a feeding issue like it sounds, I would recommend reading the sticky at the top of the forum called "making it feed". Mr. Weibe walks you through the process (although he is feeding a much larger case).

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thing that may come in to play here; when I chamber a barrel, the last thing I do to the chamber is to giveit a slight radius at the mouth. A shap edge will cause the cartridge to hang up.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect Jim's last comment is very germaine. I have a 6.5-284 built on a mauser action and mine did the same thing, along with some feeding problems for the second round down. When I sent it to Jim, he corredted both the feed rails and the slight burr at the edge of the chamber. Problem solved. For me, the marks on the bolt would be the tell tale sign of a burr.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I suspected a burr as well and think I found the burr. It is located at the corner of the right lug boss (proper term?) in the ring. I dry polished the rear half of the chamber a bit with 0000 steel wool wrapped through a slot in a wooden dowel and it smoothed the chamber wall quite nicely. No more scratches on the brass. I managed to reduce the burr a bit with 2000 grit wet/dry paper which produced a smaller scar on the bolt. I decided to stop there and blew it all out with air. Might have a local gunsmith check it out later this year and finish smoothing the burr. So, thanks everyone. Heading to the range this weekend hopefully. CB