New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Removing gloss finish from stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've always used rottenstone or pumice rubbed on with a wet shop cloth. Be sure to mask off checkering to avoid filling it with the compound. It is a bitch to get out of the checkering.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I have a Remington laminated stock-the black and gray one with the glossy finish. Any suggestions on how to tone down the gloss. As it is, it's just like a mirror. I was thinking of lightly rubbing it down with some 0000 steel wool. Any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used steel wool before and it usually works OK. Another thing you might try is an overcoat of a clear flat if you can find one compatible with the current finish......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
What type of clear, flat coat would you suggest? Some type of varnish?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
The finish on your stock is (depending on how old it it is) poly. I have finished and refinished many stocks and my best advise to you is to start with "0" steel wool and gradualy work upwards (ie "00", "000", "0000"). You will probably find a sheen you like before you make it to "000".

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
If I start with 0 steel wool and work up is it likely then that I won't need to apply a varnish or flat poly to the stock?