New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper twist for 7mm BR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Kreiger bbl on my 6ppc which shoots 70gr bullets at 200yds well with the 1:14 twist. It key holes 100gr pills at 50yds. I would like to shoot longer ranges, ie 300-400yds. The rifle is equiped with a 36X Weaver.
I am considering either a new bbl in 7mm BR or having Danny Pedersen rebore/rerifle/rechamber the existing bbl. What twist is recommended for the 140gr VLD bullets? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

A 6PPC with a 14 twist is intended for bullets up to about 70 grains. It's not surprising that it would keyhole with 100 grain bullets which need a 10 twist at least.

A 7mm with an 11T would probably work OK up to 140 gr but if you intend to shoot a lot of VLDs it wouldn't hurt to go even faster, say, 10 or 9 which would allow you to shoot most any 7mm bullet except the real heavy (175-180)gr VLDs. But those heavy VLDs probably will not work too well in 7BR. Simply not enough case capacity.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. That's what I was thinking. Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Figure your load FIRST then tailor your rig to it. You will go so much farther. If the rig is to be a long distance target rig, varmint rig or range queen, figure the best class of bullets for your job-i.e. if you know you are punching paper at 1k, then the 175gr Match Kings, Berger VLDs or Lapua Scenars may be the best class of bullet. Calls to barrel makers will recommend twists and rifling patterns once you tell them the speed you're sending the pill. Listen to them! For MY 7mm, I chose a 1:9" twist 5R at 27" in length to get a touch more oomph, based on barrelmaker's suggestions.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote