New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 7mm Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 7mm Ultra Mag that I am considering rechambering to something else. To make a long story short, I bought this rifle for my dad several years ago and wasn't a big fan of caliber, but Remington was only offering their left handed rifles in ultra mags, so that's what I bought. Back to my question.

What are my options? I was thinking about something other than an ultra mag. I know that a new barrel is needed, but what else? I don't think the boltface will work with others.

So what exactly are my options and rough costs??

one of us
posted Hide Post
The boltface will work with any of the magnums. It's the same as a 300 Win Mag, 7 Mag, and so on. Pretty any modern round that ends in "magnum" will fit with the exception of the 378 Weatherby based stuff. You're just talking about a straight up rebarrel and the cost of that depends on who you get the barrel from and who you have to the gunsmithing. If you go with a good custom barrel like a Shilen or Pac-nor etc. You're probably looking at anywere from $600-$800 for the finished job depending on what you choose, whether you go with chromoly or stainless, etc. You'll also probably have to have the mag modified for the new case like having the feed lips worked over, or change the follower etc.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that sounds a lot better than what I had thought. I wasn't sure about the boltface and figured the feeding ramps would need a little massage. I guess I'll rebarrel it for him as soon as he shoots the barrel out.

Thanks again...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The boltface is identical to any belted magnum (about .530"), however you'd better load up your current rifle with some ammunition like 7mm Remington or .300 Winchester to see if the feed rails will retain and feed the slightly smaller diameter cases.

However, it is BY FAR the most economical and efficient route to simply sell the unwanted 7mm RUM and purchase another rifle of your choice.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it would be cheaper to sell and buy, but the rifle has some sentimental value and has some really beautiful wood that I would not want to let go. I don't plan on rebarreling yet, just seeing what my options are after he burns the barrel out which will probably never happen.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think you could just pick up a new mag box for the shorter magnums. Douglas for one makes a Remington taper. It should just drop into your stock. $360-370

Barrel polished, threaded and chambered $227 list

Install $40
Stand blue $80
Gloss blue $90.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had a 7mmremmag converted to 300ultramag,the feed rails needed to be modified so your rifle may or may not feed the smaller diameter cases properly.The magazine box is the same except the ultramag boxes have slots cut in the sides to allow for the slightly larger diameter.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote