New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose link
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded that has an issue with the barrel/link. When I disassemble it, if I am not careful, the pin that connects the barrel link to the barrel falls out and so does the link.

I would ask if this is a problem - this pistol does sometimes (1 round in 20) fail to lock up with certain types of ammo (Winchester 230gr ball and certain SWC's).

Should I replace the pin, link, or just go for a new barrel entirely? I have been shooting the gun for about 10 years so it might be time for a refresh.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It is not necessarily a problem, but I always "stake" the link so the pin doesn't fall out. The pin/link has nothing to do with the pistol failing to digest different ammo. You might only need a new recoil spring, or a stronger grip.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks

sputster

one of us
posted Hide Post
Follow on - I took the pistol to a gunsmith, who had no problem with the link, but observed that the chamber was rough, which was likely contributing to the problem. He polished the chamber and test fired the pistol with ammo I had provided, says it works fine now. I will have to pick it up and see how it does for me.

sputster

one of us
posted Hide Post
Understand that a burr of just 0.001" can cause malfunctions .
One failure in 20 is frequent to me .Failures have to be separated by ammo, magazine.Always number your magazines to do this . Ammo choice must be made by what your gun likes not necessarily what you like. Polishing chambers is best done by polishing lengthwise .400 grit is all you need.