Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Duracoat finishes please.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
I'm seriously considering Duracoating my new coyote rifle in a desert camo scheme. It's a stevens 200 in 223. I was going to do the entire rifle, including scope and rings.

What I've noticed from messing around with it, and trimming the excess flashing off the stock from the mold process is that the stock is kind of a soft plastic. I'm wondering how well the Duracoat will bond to the stock?

Also wondering how Duracoat stands up to cleaning solvents over time?

There's an outfit close to me in N. Phoenix listed as an authorized coating service, but I was hoping for some neutral feedback from those who've used it first before I call them.

Thanks.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Duracoat is a pretty good finish IMHO, but don't apply it to any moving parts like the bolt or the bolt raceways. Also, you'll want to apply it over park because it needs a roughed up surface to adhere to. I'm not sure about the stock...maybe you could scotchbrite and rough up the surface a little. Also, make sure you degrease the rifle and the stcok very well before you apply the finish.

I've got an Enfield that I Duracoated three years ago and I like it as a firearms finish. It seems impervious to solvents and corrosion and you can't scratch it off the metal.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duracoat will adhere well to the stock. Be sure to degrease the stock well first, then prep with 220 grit sandpaper, degrease again and then apply.

Once fully cured, it will resist most solvents and chemicals commonly used on guns.