Find
Notify
Tools

Harris bi-pods
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
someone gave me a harris bi-pod and every gun i have put it on the bi-pod cants the rifle. it is not the pivoting version and i have fiddled with it all i can to get it straight. nothing appears to be bent or broken. Any suggestions?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This may take some experimenting to get the exact thickness but you need to glue a shim of leather to the low side of the bipod where it contacts the forearm. Make it exactly the size of the bipod's existing pad's footprint and that should solve the problem.

I found on a couple of guns that the bipods don't sit right because the sling swivel is not centered in the forearm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
It sounds to me like you do not have the attaching device securely, totally, going through the swivel stud. And if you do, then it is not tightened enough to bring it into level. The Harris base which mates with the forearm of the stock is like a v block and would seek center when tension is applied. Double check to see that the two ears are evenly positioned around the swivel stud and then snugged up and if that still does not work, call Harris, they are very helpful and will suggest other things I am sure.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The sling swivel is probably off center if tightening the mount doesn't work. If the swivel screw is off center, try bending it a little. It is hard to bend the sling mounts as they are hardened and tend to break, but they are cheap to replace.

Like Fjold, I would definitely put some kind of shim between the forend and the mount, if I cared about the rifle finish. You might even put a thicker shim on one side to space it over.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote