Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X55SE Accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
As you know my 6.5X55 custom MRC was grooved for a quick twist and long bullets. I have not had a chance to shoot the gun much and get used to it past 100 yards, except a 376 yard shot on a coyote. Yesterday I shot it at 100 and what lazered out to actually be 305 yards. Below is the only shots I took at 305. After seeing this I decided to stop while I was ahead. You know I shake on the bench typically so I was very pleased.

**Thanks to MRC for the barrel.
**Thanks to Jim Dubell for installation and metalsmithing.
**Thanks to Bill Gostomski for the excellent stockwork and bedding.

Never mind DD the 16 pound cat, she just wouldnt get out of the way and I love to pester her.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long-range shooters have long known that a quick-twist barrel will often shoot tighter (comparatively) groups at ranges over 100-150 yds, as the bullets settle down. It's not uncommon to see the same actual-size groups, or very close to it, when comparing groups fired at 100 vs 200 yds. Your 300-yd group is a much truer accuracy measure IMO than your 100-yd group simply because of the effect of the tight twist. You are fortunate, enjoy!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
thanks....the right hand drift of the group was from the slight wind which I did not compensate for.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 x 55 Swede can be very accurate in a good rifle, even a hunting weight rig like mine...a Sako 75 in a McMillan stock with a 4-16X Elite 4200

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The only flaw for me on this rifle was the cross-hairs on the custom Leupold scope I had them assemble. The German reticles [#4] are too thick and cover the target at 300 yards. It makes those shots difficult without the right target.

When I ordered I did not realize how thick Leupold's #4 were. I had looked at Zeiss and they were different. Definitely my fault.

I am thinking with a finer cross-hair I can get better accuracy since I will see the target better and notice my wobble.....and I can really wobble on stationary targets. Anyone else notice you can hit a moving target with perfect results, but not off the bench or a stationary target? I have one poor shot on a moving deer out of 34, and I knew it as I squeezed the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a #4 in a S&B scope. When shooting groups, I use the inside point of the reticle intersection rather than trying to divine the actual center of the intersection.

I hope that made sense.

Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
are you talking similar to using a #1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I nestle the right angle formed by the reticle around a square "bull".

Imagine you are checking a board for square using the reticle as a framing square.

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think I just need a fine reticle, but I will wait until I make my trip into the open country of one of the Wilderness Areas.

Wit the QD Talley bases I will just get another scope and use the two. Right now the scope I have is sighted in for the 155grain Lapua Mega. The next scope will use 130grain Barnes X-bullets for longer ranges.

Currently I have 16.8 inches of drop at 300 yards with the 155.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a circle shaped target, like the NRA B 6, and use a "six o'clock" hold, just like pistol shooters, that is set the bull on top of the crosshair intersection.

I guess it depends on what you're doing but personally for general hunting, I'd a lot rather have center crosshairs that are a tad thick than ones that are really thin like those for target work.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
something in the middle would be good for shots over 150 on this scope, but i agree with thicker rather than the thin that disappear in the veg when looking at game