Find
Notify
Tools

Bluing after engraving?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of scw
posted
I just picked up a new shotgun for my father in law's birthday and I want to have his name engraved on the side (CZ over & under).

After having it engraved, what should be done to reblue? Can I spot blue just the lettering and not affect the area around it? I don't want to screw up the nice bluing it has, but I also don't want raw metal exposed.

Thanks-

Shane

-------------------------
I saw a girl with a shirt that said Guess, so I said Thyroid problem?

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Brownells Oxpho blue Would do anything to the bluing on the gun. If your engraver doesn't have any just give some to him, so he can apply it as soon as he finishes the engraving and before it gets oil in it.

It may require several applications to match the original finish. Then oil.

Try the Oxpho blue on a spot that's not exposed just to make sure it won't affect the original bluing.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just leave it in the white where the engraver cut the letters. Many engravers cut the serial number, caliber, and other lettering after bluing. If you are taking care of the rest of the gun then it won't rust. If it does start to rust, then the entire rest of the gun is rusting too.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
swc

Put a coat of true oil on the engraving and wipe it off. The under cut of the lettering will be filled and sealed with no harm to the finish.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
To protect the metal and add a nice touch, consider the gold filling which was popular and available in a bottle. Degrease, apply, wipe off excess, smile you are a hero.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
The action really should be reblued. If properly cared for the engraving won't rust, but it will start changing colors and start looking rather seedy.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
One question; five different answers.

I love this place! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

More than one way to skin a cat....

one of us
posted Hide Post
we're not skinning cats. we're saving engraving, so there should be only one correct way to do .

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with two canoes, but--

One of the responders is a top-of-the-line engraver.

I'd guess he'd know best how to preserve his work.

LOL.

flaco

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Roger, thanks for your thoughts.

Will dabbing some cold blue be sufficient? Will it effect the original bluing? I'm assuming having it gold filled will be sufficient as well? I was considering having a jewler engrave and gold-fill the name.

Shane-

Shane

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Sako- I just noticed you post regarding the gold fill. I'll look further into this option.

Thanks-

Shane

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Shane that's great... I was being serious with that response.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Some I've left in the white while others I applied cold blue--either way has worked fine.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Me too. I waited for quite a while before I decided to even answer.

Roger has the proper answer and why. Thanks for that Roger.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at using this gold/silver inlay kit from Brownells (haven't decided about gold vs. silver)

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...NANZA+BRUSHING+INLAY

Will the cleaner remove the bluing? Any other tips I should be aware of?

TIA-

Shane

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The only thing lacking in this thread is a technique for applying the Cold Blue. Here is one technique that works. I use Oxpho Blue, Acetone and Breakfree when coloring engraving because they work. This doesn't mean that nothing else will work, just that this particular combo does. thumb

Using a good degreaser like acetone, clean the area real good. If you have to, take a soft nylon tooth type brush, clean it in the acetone and lightly brush the engraving with the degreaser. Don't over do it.

Saturate a "Q" tip with some Oxpho Blue and dab it over the area, working it into the engraving. I've even resorted to the use of tooth picks to reach tough spots. IF you have to, take that now, very clean, soft, tooth type brush and lightly work the cold blue more thoroughly into the engraving.

This light brushing will help insure that the Oxpho Blue is spread evenly, and at the same time, blend the color in with the surrounding finish. When it looks like it's fairly uniform, wipe up the excess with a clean soft rag, an old tee shirt, and then apply a light film of Breakfree to the area and buff it by hand.

This should take very little time from start to finish and require very few "light" brush strokes. Again, don't over do it or you will lose color. Piece of cake!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote