THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Talley QD rings - CZ 550 Safari Magnum - 56mm objective?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley QD rings - CZ 550 Safari Magnum - 56mm objective?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Hello,

Will it works? I mean CZ 550 Safari Magnum with Medium CZ Talley QD rings (they don't produce CZ high rings) and rifle scope with 56mm objective (Zeiss Victory)?

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I don't think it will work. For the best answer, I would e-mail Talley.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody has their own ideas about what's appropriate and what is not. I don't think any 56mm objective scope is appropriate on a heavy recoiling rifle. The scoope is heavy and the inertia of the heavy scope over stresses the mounts. On the CZ, only the rear ring is provided with a recoil stop. I think you would be better served with a lighter, more compact scope.
It wasn't too long ago that I would not have recommended the use of any Zeiss scope on any rifle with more recoil than a 30/06 but I think they have improved their toughness in the last 20 years. Previously, the life expectancy of any Zeiss on a 375, for instance, was pretty short. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you for info, I will try and see what happends.

How to proper mount that rings to scope? I am used to degrease rings and sometimes I put some thread sealant (thread glue) inside of rings for better strenght and true face to face bond.

Any ideas?

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a lapping bar and lap the rings in for good contact. Takes a lot of stress off of the scope and ring system. If you can get some gasket sealent for auto aplications that has a strong solvent smell and is dark brown use a small amount of that on your rings. It will ooze out and need to be cleaned up with a q-tip and some acetone when you tighten up the rings, but your scope will never move. I have some guns that would shed scopes and this is the cure. Lap the rings and glue the scope in with gasket sealent. Good luck.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Everybody has their own ideas about what's appropriate and what is not. I don't think any 56mm objective scope is appropriate on a heavy recoiling rifle.

+1

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 is only 550g compared to Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45mm, which is 544g or Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42, which is 610g!, so I belive that 550g for 3-12x56 Victory is not "overweighted".

Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 is 490g and 1.5-6x42 is 440g, so I don't see big difference.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Reply from Talley:

I do not think that this will work with our rings.
What the hell is it? No explanation, just that statement. "Very useful"

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Reply from Zeiss:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx,

thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss. In reference to your inquiry from 2010-06-01:

Yes, it is possible - you could use every ammunition for our optics.

I hope this satisfactorily answers all your questions. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Jeanette Techert

I asked if it is possible to use Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 on a heavy recoiling rifle (CZ 550 Magnum in .375H&H) and if they recommend it.

My english is bad, but not so bad as at Zeiss customer service.

What the hell "you could use every ammunition for our optics" means???

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would like to make several points:

1. I don't think there is a problem putting a heavy scope on a CZ 550 except the whole rifle will weight more and if the eye relief isn't sufficient, you could get a nasty scope bite. The scope mounting system is really pretty strong; I have a Nightforce scope on mine which is fairly heavy with zero problems.

2. In regards to the answer from Talley; they answered your question. I didn't think it would work either. The distance from the receiver to the bottom of the opening in the scope ring for the Talley medium scope rings is 0.5 inches. Measure from the bottom of the main scope tube to a line that is parallel to the greatest diameter of your 56 mm objective and I think you'll find when mounted that the bell of the objective will hit the rifle barrel making mounting impossible.

3. There was a test done some time ago on various scopes mounted on a 460 Weatherby Magnum. I don't remember all the details but as I recall they were scopes from half a dozen manufacturers and all held up to the recoil though in some cases the mounts didn't. I don't think the Zeiss scope is any worse than other name brands so it would probably hold up. On the other hand, I doubt ANY manufacturer would admit that their scope wouldn't hold up to such and such a cartridge.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Reply from Zeiss:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx,

thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss. In reference to your inquiry from 2010-06-01:

Yes, it is possible - you could use every ammunition for our optics.

I hope this satisfactorily answers all your questions. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Jeanette Techert

I asked if it is possible to use Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 on a heavy recoiling rifle (CZ 550 Magnum in .375H&H) and if they recommend it.

My english is bad, but not so bad as at Zeiss customer service.

What the hell "you could use every ammunition for our optics" means???

Jiri

"Every ammunition" in the reply probably means every caliber. Their scopes can be used with any caliber meaning big bore recoil is not a problem.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for help.

When rifle arrives, I will borrow friend's Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 and try it to mount. It will definitively shows me if it will works or not. And of course I will let you know.

Jiri