New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate rifle ????
 Login/Join

<IRONWOLF>
posted
Who makes the most accurate rifle for the money ??

<gamecock>
posted
SAVAGE

<gamecock>
posted
And, take a look at the summer edition of "Outdoor Life" magazine. There's a good article reviewing outdoor gear by Carmichel and Day - accuracy leader, as many would expect, is Savage, and a surprise, Tikka!

<jjdero>
posted
2nd Savage for off the rack rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I think the Remington 700 VLS is the most,for the least.

It offers a very stable stock that can be easily bedded,a good trigger that can be easily made great and offered in chamberings to scratch most itches. Should you grow out of the as issued rifle,there is a plethora of performance upgrades readily available and 700 based rifles fare well in many extreme accuracy disciplines(duh).

I've done the Savage thing,on multiple occasions,but you still have an ugly rifle that has minimal aesthetic appeal(my opinion,of course).

A laminate stocked Savage,Wholesales at about $440. The VLS goes for $505.

In my humble opinion,that is 65 very well spent dollars. Of course,your mileage may vary............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage has the reputation as being the most accurate out of the box, but of all the sHooters I know who are good enough to tell the differance, they don't have one. Just too butt ugly. The most accurate rifle I own just happens to be an older Ruger #1 in 270. Strange things happen sometimes.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Savage. "There is no substitute."

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Russ,

Out of curiousity,just what discipline might Savage dominate,that there is NO thought of a substitute Manufacturer? Who might that operator be,that rules those ranks,with no competition?

I'm always hopin' to learn somethin' new...............

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I think that people dont like savage rifles because they cant justify the extra money they wasted on a rifle that doesnt shoot as well. The only argument that they come up with is that they think that they are unsightly.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
That is an interesting twist,on nothingness. If I could have a half priced rifle,that trumped everything else available,my stable would be full of that pedigree. Being that is not the case,my opinions vary and your tastes may differ.

My preferences would push me towards a Howa,before Savage,but that is my subjective opinion.

That Savage is trumpeted by the largely unknowing(read impressionable,due to lack of other rifle purchases),yet not well represented in Competitive venues,contradicts it's oft touted "superiority".

If you want a great deal,on an ugly rifle,I'd push you firmly towards a Savage. Should you want the most,for least,my direction would be much different.

That Remington largely dominates the accuracy disciplines,is far from a fluke. They work and well,all for little. That is NOT to be disputed............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka

Better shooter
Better fit and finish
Better wood
Better looking

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never think Savage rifles are ugly. I like the titanium nitride plating but could live without the bolt-knob checkering though.

quote:
Out of curiousity,just what discipline might Savage dominate,that there is NO thought of a substitute Manufacturer? Who might that operator be,that rules those ranks,with no competition?
What displine does Savage dominate? When people ask "Who makes the most accurate rifle for the money ?? ", you'll notice.... [Wink]

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<jjdero>
posted
Ironwolf, the only Savage I own is a 223 112 FV ($362.00 from Walmart), and right out of the box it shoots a 5 shot 1/2" group at a 100 yards (1st try handloads). I'm 60 years old, don't have great eye sight and have never been that great a shot. I have no other Savage, their just to ugle. I do have more than one custom built smith gun, with Sheilen barrels, trued actions, pillerbedding, that do shoot a tad better after meany long secions of working on a handload that the barrel liked, then setting the ogive 5 thousand off the lands, and on and on and on. A $1500 rifle, they all or on a 700 Remington actions. Folks build, what they percive are pretty rifles, not ugle one, and folks enjoy building, working up loads, and tinkering with guns for the sport of it, most folks do it cause they like to do it. If you want a good shooting out of the box, cheap, rifle, best on the market, hands down is the SAVAGE, it's also not very pretty and it killllls some fairly
smart folks to sometimes admit it.

[ 06-23-2002, 15:07: Message edited by: jjdero ]

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
elmo,
Tikka
Better shooter
Better fit and finish
Better wood
Better looking
Elmo
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you but Tikka is more expensive thna Savage.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote