Find
Notify
Tools

Who Knew a Model 700 Could Look So Good
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
280 Improved with the help of Jim Kobe and Ed LaPour.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of it, but that bolt handle and checkered knob looks damn nice on that Remmy. Is that Williams bottom metal on there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar70-

I had to take two or three re-takes of your pictures and yes, by golly, that is a Mod. 700. I really like the bolt handle and Mod "70" type safety, no doubt from Mr. LaPour.

Williams bottom metal?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting rifle. Jim Kobe did all the action trueing, rebarrel, and chamber along with a Sako extractor. The rifle is extremely accurate. McMillan did the stock and pillar bedded it. I got a wild hair in me one day and sent it to Ed LaPour. He installed Dakota bottom metal, 3 position safety, welded up the rear tang, and bolt handle. I wasn't happy with the spring and follower so I sent Ed a Winchester pre-64 spring and follower which he used. Along with shooting great, it feeds slicker than owl shit. 140 grainers at 3150 and 160s at 3000.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please stop it with the compliments for Ed. He's my gunmsmith, and costs me enough already.

Great guy, very talented!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful- was the bolt handle welded to the lug while still on the bolt, or was the whole bolt handle assembly made up, and then brazed in place as the originals are?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Believe the latter is true, whole assembly made and brazed in place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All it needs is a fine piece of Walnut wrapped around it! Very nice rifle.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like that bolt handle a lot. Any idea who makes that? Or is it a full custom.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
man what a difference, that really makes it look a lot better

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the color blend you chose for the stock. I think some of those Mickey 'marbled stocks' are quite handsome sometimes.

How's she shooting?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote