New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another way to chamber??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are your opinions? I wouldn't do it that way on my rifles, but is probably good enought for him.http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=164205
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Which method, the last one using the lathe dog to drive the reamer?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got nothing from that address...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
There's always been more than one way to skin a cat. I could use a set of those lathe dogs like that one around my shop.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was speaking of the guy from Sweden. He really does have some nice equip. Too many operations that will allow tolerance stacking. I sure wouldn't use a Jacob's rubber flex collet to do the job. They are wonderful, but not up to chambering tolerance. Chambering that way without a cathead would allow the outboard end of the barrel to flop up and down.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that I've used lathe dogs to drive chamber reamers for years. Big Grin

I set up only once, from the brginning of the tenon to final polish of the chamber. I once, or, twice, I forget, left a barrel in my lathe for over a week waiting on a new throat reamer to replace the one that rolled off the top of the lathes splash guard and broke. I hate it when it does that! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I was going to say that I've used lathe dogs to drive chamber reamers for years. Big Grin

I set up only once, from the brginning of the tenon to final polish of the chamber. I once, or, twice, I forget, left a barrel in my lathe for over a week waiting on a new throat reamer to replace the one that rolled off the top of the lathes splash guard and broke. I hate it when it does that! Big Grin

That's why I have two lathes, oh, and I never pick up shop rags or newspaper from the floor, they help break the fall. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lathe dog is a little un-handy for use as a reamer holder. The way he has the barrel held is a major problem for me. However, everyone has their own quality limits.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Well,another way to do it is to set the barrel vertical in your bench wise, and ream it by hand.
I have understood that many thinks of that as crazy and inaccurate, but I doubt any of them had tried
it that way. I have reamed chambers that way that produces 1/2moa groups with boring regularity, just as tight as any lathe reamed chamber. Oh, and is almost as fast as reaming in a lathe. But you might breake a sweat.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Driving a reamer by hand with a dog gives you much better feed back for the cutting load on the reamer. I would be a little nervous about the center jumping out of the reamer center and would probably use some other arrangement to capture the reamer shank on center.
Some of what is shown is more of a s stunt than practical- especially the helical interpolation of receiver threads. Yeah it works but getting a perfect set up with a mill is more difficult.
The mill will cut the receiver face out of square just as easily as not. The proper setup on a lathe will not cut it out of square.

It is not too cool to have a kid around an engine lathe especially without eye protection.
I have seen a few train wrecks. Even yawning can get you hurt....Try yawning during an interrupted cut. You never know where those chips are going.

Collets are handy for a lot of small work but a 4 jaw permits you to put the bore where you want it not where the collet puts it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote