Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering a 6.5x55 to 6.5x284
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
I have a Brownell's 6.5 Swede short chambered barrel. Is it beyond a workbench gunsmith (me) to use a 6.5x284 finish reamer instead of the 6.5 Swede finish reamer?

I've used short chambered barrels before with the appropriate reamer, but thought about making this barrel a 6.5x284 instead.

Too difficult or no big deal? It is going on a VZ-24 action.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Too much reaming to do without a lathe; danger of making an egg shaped chamber; child's play with one. Problem is the the 284 reamer won't even start in your hole and you would have no pilot. Anyway, not for hand reaming.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A 284 chamber will clean up the swede chamber. You didn't say if you have a lathe or are you tryng to cut the chamber by hand. You will be remove metal with no front guide until you get deep enough for the front guide to pick up the lands.

I will admit to using a jig and my drill press to line up basically a 280AI reamer to recut a 7x57 chamber. It works the rifle has not trouble shooting sub MOA. In that case both the reamer and original chamber have the same dia base so the reamer didn't start cutting until it was in the old chamber. In your case you will be cutting from the start.

Answer is depends on your tools and how you rate your skill.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Too much reaming to do without a lathe; danger of making an egg shaped chamber; child's play with one. Problem is the the 284 reamer won't even start in your hole and you would have no pilot. Anyway, not for hand reaming.

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. I think I'll cut the 6.5 Swede chamber, shoot it that way this season (actually going to be the wife's rifle this year) and later take it to a gunsmith to cut the 6.5x284 chamber.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you've never used a swede before i'm betting you don't change a thing.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you've never used a swede before i'm betting you don't change a thing.

tu2 With proper handloading the swede gives up VERY LITTLE to the 6.5-284 (50-75fps)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
No reason to go to the 6.5/.284. As a hunting rifle you gain almost nothing. There is more 6.5 x 55 ammo on the shelfs than 6.5/.284 but, neither one will be on the shelf in Elk City, Idaho..........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Funny, I find 6.5 Swede (usually Remington) almost everywhere I go.

I have a M96 made in 1915 that shoots beautifully. I'll be able to load this build a lot hotter. Just have to mark my brass to make sure I don't mix the two.

In the end, this is going to be the wife's rifle, so I really don't need any extra performance. Her maximum range will be under 200 yards.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmm sounds liek someone wnats a 6.5/284 and viewed this as an Opportunity to get one while building a rilfe for the wife. rotflmo Sure glad I have never done that. dancing Just wish my wife wasn't so darn short.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Bingo! tu2

I think I'll keep it a 6.5 Swede for this season and the barrel is accurate, I'll have it reamed to 6.5x284 next year.

Don't need it, just want one!

Dave

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
Bingo! tu2

I think I'll keep it a 6.5 Swede for this season and if the barrel is accurate enough, I'll have it reamed to 6.5x284 next year. Of course if the barrel ISN'T accurate enough, I'll HAVE to buy a nice Lilja or Krieger...

Don't need it, just want one!

Dave