Find
Notify
Tools

NECG Sight Opinon's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
I'm looking at the "Universal" front and "Masterpiece" rear. The Masterpiece rear looks stout... the Universal front looks a bit Rube-Goldberg?

Experience?

Thanks,

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir Brad, these are the NECG sights you want with a front sight to match . Trust me, they're wonderful.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
The Masterpiece rear is a very nice sight, and is adjustable for windage AND ELEVATION. . This makes the Univeral front sight unnecessary. You can go with a fixed ramp or barrel band front, and not have to worry about elevation adjustments within reason (plus you can change the front blade height to make larger corrections.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to look into a rear sight from Jim Wisner as it looks similar to the old Winchester 458 rear sight. Actually, check out the new rear sight on Weatherby's DGR product line as they use the same sight produced by Jim.

Posts: 204 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brad, the skeletonized fiberoptic NEGC rear sight that Chuck provided the photo of is made by EAW of Germany. It's of all milled-steel construction, and is adjustable for windage-only. The accompanying EAW ramped front sight is also of milled-steel construction, adjustable for elevation-only, and features a superb milled-steel hood with milled ports to allow sunlight to activate the fiberoptic front bead. This sight set is of the highest quality, and is incredibly rugged, simple, practical, and functional. There is absolutely nothing that's "Rube Goldberg" about it, and yes, you can positively lock the settings in place once you have the bullets hitting where you want 'em.

I have this same sight setup on my Echols-built .375 H&H, and it is hands-down the fastest, most usable open sight arrangement I've ever tried, and works under a wider variety of conditions than any other open sights you can obtain. If I hadn't trusted Echols' high opinion of these sights, I never would have tried them, which would have been my loss.

No they're not "traditional" in the purest sense, but then neither are fiberglass stocks.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of NECG stuff. It is all of the highest quality and you won't be dissapointed with any of thier products. They are made by EAW in germany but NECG is thier dist. for the states.
I have their sights on my personal rifles and love them.
Enjoy and happy shooting

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen-do you find these sights faster and easier to acquire a sight picture with than a "ghost ring" or, are they slightly slower in your experience. I have been thinking of getting some of these for a few of my rifle projects now in progress.

<allen day>
posted
I'm not an experienced user of ghost sights. The only receiver-sight I've put much mileage into was on a pre-war Model 70 in .300 H&H that was factory-equipped with a Lyman 48. That was one lovely rifle! I was amazed at how precise this sight was for group shooting, but it was no faster for me to use than good open sights for field shooting. I suspect that dedicated practice, plus a ghost sight-type apeture might prove to be just about as fast as a low-power scope with a wide field-of-view.

Echols makes a receiver sight-only, dangerous game version of the "Legend" with an EAW ghost ring receiver sight plus fiberoptic EAW front ramp. I handled a .458 Lott with this setup that D'Arcy built for professional hunter John Oosthuizen, and it was incredibly fast to get on target, and the sights are superbly rugged and wonderfully simple. As I understand it, this is Oosthuizen's number one rifle, and he carries it every day while in the bush guiding clients. He swears by those sights!

I like fixed open sights as a backup to a receiver-mounted scope in detachable rings, which is why I prefer the EAW open sights. They're plenty fast enough for my purposes.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

The front sight you are asking about is a very good sight. And the rear, maybe the best of its class. And they are adjustable as Allen has written above. You may find that you like the fiber optic bead type or the 3/32 white bead. For some reason I can see the white better than the fiber optic version. With the different front sight and ramp height combinations available, you are going to find one that works.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't NECG have a front ramp that allows for interchanging of blades? Do they make a fiberoptic for that particular ramp? then you could have the option. My gunsmith is making a front ramp on my 458 that will accept the NECG blades. My rear sight is an original Win. 70 458 adjustable one like Wisner make the duplicate of. I figured I could try a couple of blades and see which one I liked better, and I hope that the fiber optic is one of the options for the changeable config.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Ernst Apel (EAW) sights on at least a half dozen rifles. The latest one is this 1938 commercial Brno in 8x60. It has the "Classic" adjustable rear base with a fixed blade. The front sight is the "Universal" with a white bead.

The nice thing about a Classic-Universal setup is the ability to change sights in a moment, such as to the fiber optics.

On this CZ550 FS in 9.3x62, I used the Classic rear blade, but added a white line to match the white bead Universal front.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, you can't beat the combination of Masterpiece front and rear sights for class and function. The rear is adjustable for windage and elevation, and the front allows use of a hood, and a wide variety of different bead styles and heights. The rear sight is also nicely finished, while the front ramp needs a bit of work to clean up prior to bluing - worth the time though.

Good luck,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Echols/EAW rifle you describe sounds very interesting. I have been searching for a DGR aperture sight set-up for my own project.Do you know of any photos/links I could check?

Posts: 25 | Location: Detroit,MI | Registered: 30 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Thank's for all the thoughtful response's gent's.

I wasn't aware the NECG sights are, in fact, EAW's. These sights aren't for a dangerous game rifle, just as back-up on a utility 30-06 so absolute ruggedness is my primary concern. I like the robust simplicity of the "classic" rear sight that Kurt posted. I'm leaning toward an Ashley front sight base in conjunction with the Classic NECG rear... I like the idea of a standard dovetail front as blade option's are unlimited.

Plenty to chew on...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think NECG are made by ERA Feintechnick see link

Saludos

Daniel Era website

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Daniel, you're quite right... great link!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad

ERA produces ones of the best sights and scope mounts not only in europe , in the world .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
All, I just hung up with NECG. I ordered the Classic rear and Universal front ramp with fiber optic bead (low). These sights have all the options I'll ever need. I like the fact the medium height front ramp allowed me to use the low front sight bead which is unobstrusive compared to a typical blade.

Thank's again for all the suggestion's!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, just as an FYI, I've emailed Rechnagel twice in a couple of years with a question or two. Both times a catalogue appeared in my mail box a few weeks later. Nice touch!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Allen and Mauser, that lovely copy of the old M-70 Win island ramp, shallow V screw gizzie thats made by Jim Wisner is the best yet, short of a receiver sight...You can use it in conjunction with any NECG ramp..I like the barrel band ramp myself with a 3/32 Ivory or gold bead..With a receiver the NECG partridge is a neat front sight, nice and square and goes with a receiver or peep..I also like the adjustable NECG front sights on a ramp..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote