New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Metal for M70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What one piece trigger guard/floor plates are available for the Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless. For both the 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H. Don't really want to pay $400, but can't really see re-stocking one of these, and leaving the original factory 2 piece unit. Williams seem to have a fairly nice unit for $139. What do all you guy's use.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I have M70 Safari Express in 416 Rem and it came from Winchester with a 1 piece bottom metal unit. I recently purchaced one of the Williams Firearms 1 piece units for one of my other M70 and comparied it to the one on the Safari express. Identical down to the little "W" stamped just forward of the trigger guard on the inside. It's about 1/16" longer than the standard Win 2 piece unit and about 1/16" thicker near the guard screws and around the magazine cutout, so it will take a little inletting work to make it fit properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the owner of Williams a few months ago--they make the one-piece floor plates for Winchester.

I am having a one-piece Williams installed on a M70 Compact. It will make it a little heavier, but it gets rid of that danged middle action screw.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
I have one on my M70 Stainless Classic that John Ricks is building as we speak. Curious where your getting them soo cheaply though...

How's the 6-18x50 Swarovski working out on the .375 H&H?

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, quoted the price out of my 2002 brownells catalog, which list the stainless unit #954-100-204 at $138.75. But when I tryied to order over the computer, found the price had jumped to $209.72. Postponed the purchase till I can talk to them in person Monday. Seem's I have been bitten by inflation once again.

The scope you speak of is the Swarovski 4-12x50, it still sits in the box. After buying this house, getting moved in, and having to replace the furnace & Air Conditioning units right off. Not to mention work slowing down, well it hasn't left me much time, and or money for hobbies. Or as the wife would say my second child hood.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Greyghost,

I have the Williams bottom metal cause it came std with the Classic Safari Express I bought to customise. Too good to throw away my gunsmith said but IMHO the blackburn units with the obendorf type release are nicer. But they are about US$240 so I passed on that & instead spent the money on a new barrel.

The Williams looks more M70'ish.

In case you are interested:
Blackburn Engineering
Tel: 801 794 3309
Email: BLACKBURNMACHINE@CS.COM

Regards,
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am going to do all the work and spend the money to make a custom rifle I will only use the best and thats a blackburn box, Walther barrel and so fourth....Takes me 3 months to build one and I sure don't want a make do rifle after all that work....

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote