New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I got hold of a new threaded barrel (stainless) for a Kimber 84 action, thinking I could use it for a 6 X 47 project of mine. Very nice barrel, but now that I measure everything, I see the outer diameter of the shank is only 0.805" and the barrel diameter at the receiver edge is about 0.975" or so. Seems like the only action I currently own that could fit this is a #4 rolling block, not what I had in mind. Now, does anyone have any idea of another appropriate (read; bolt action) action that will fit this barrel, or maybe an idea where I can find a kimber action? Thanks for the help. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I doubt if you have any Sako L-46 actions lying about that need barrels, but if you do, the shank of an L-46 is about .855", 16 TPI. You could possibly cut off the shank of your barrel, cut and thread a new shank, and still have enough metal there of large enough diameter and long enough length for one of the cartridge cases for which the L-46 was originally built. (.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .222 Remington, 7x33 Sako) Any would likely be a fun 6 m/m.

The Sako L-461, which would be a heck of a lot easier to come by, would also be a possible candidate, as its shank size is nominally .864", also with 16 TPI V-threads. That action would give you magazine length enough to build a .223-length chambered barrel, if your barrel would have adequate diameter for a long enough length to be safe.

Good luck

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They might sell you one. Give them a call and ask. I see your in Canada and I don't know the drill for that.

Contact Kimber

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I'll check into both these things, as well, a friend of mine mentioned the Brno 527, would you happen to know the shank thread diameter on those? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote