New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M70 Classic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mark Penrod reportedly does excellent work on the M70 trigger. I don't have his address or phone handy, but you should be able to "Google it" or search for it here.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Penrod Precision

312 College Ave

N. Manchester IN, 46962

260-982-8385

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Ditto what blue said. I will add that Winchester uses some kind of hot glue for bedding material. If you decide to get the trigger work done go ahead and have it glass bedded at the same time. It will need this sooner or later. I will say that my m70 in 7mm mag. shot very well with the hot glue (1� or less with most loads) It�s just it all starts falling out over the years with regular cleaning and maintenance. By all means go shoot the thing first and have fun.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a trigger job done on mine and also glass bedded the recoil lug and i am very happy with it. I also put a Williams extractor and steel bottom metal on it. I understand the current production Classics come with a Williams extractor and one piece bottom metal. This would definately be a plus and I would try to buy a current manufacure Classic but just look it over really well.

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and advice guys. Sounds like they've done some good things w/ the current model with better stock, williams extractor etc. Wonder if the classic super grade is as likely to have to quality control issues? Other than eye balling the scope mounting holes how would you make sure they are straight?

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in a similar position as I just purchased a Model 70 Super Grade 30-06. This gun will be used on my first safari next year in Namibia. A trigger job is a must if it is a factory new gun. Mine I'm sure is pulling around 8-10 lbs. The only other mod I will make will be to bed the action and float the barrel. This may or may not be the setup the gun will shoot best with, but it will be the most stable setup and day to day consistancy is more important to me than another 1/4" of accuracy.

Based on a lot positive feedback I've read on this forum and others, I have sent my gun to Mr. Penrod who is mentioned above.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joezone, The gun is new and I did not bother to shoot the it. The trigger was terrible and the barrel channel had full contact. I like my barrels floated. This is my first Model 70. To my eyes the fit and finish are exceptional. I am very happy with the Super Grade wood.

Like I said, from what I've read Mark Penrod is supposed to be a wizard with the Model 70 trigger. He is going to repin mine and set it around 2 1/4 lb. His bedding jobs include pillars for the action screws.

Mark said he should be able to get the gun back to me in 4-6 weeks. He said he gets much busier after the first of the year and turn around times longer. I hope his guess on time is correct. If so, I'll be able to take the gun out hunting at the end of our Alabama deer season for a test drive.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three fairly simple things that will help almost any factory gun:
� a trigger job
� re-crowning the barrel
� bedding the action

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyattd, I own two of the Classic Super Grades. One is a .270 Win. and the other is a 300 RUM. Both have had trigger jobs and both have had the action bedded. They both shoot like they have eyes. I think you'll enjoy yours once you get it set up the way you want.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rooster, did you have them free float or bed the barrel or just leave it with the original bedding? I'm actually undecided between a 30-06 and a 338 WM. If I go with the magnum I would probably consider having the barrel cut down to 23 or 24 inches, which could be done w/ a recrown. I'll be using this in Montana. The area where I hunt has a few grizzlies and the population is expanding year by year. I'm thrilled to see them making a come back, but makes hunting for elk a little more exciting. I wouldn't be too worried about it but, when you hunt you are breaking rules for bear safety and have a good chance of catching a bear by surprise. I've walked up on them twice while backpacking and thankfully they ran away. A number of hunters in Wyoming have had run ins w/ grizzlies this fall. In most cases the hunter didn't even manage to get off a shot before the bear was on them. These aren't typically any where near the size of those Alaska brownies but I don't want to have to stop one up close w/ my 270 (or any caliber for that matter). W/ the high energy loads the 30-06 seems to approach a standard 300 H & H load although I've heard the 300 H & H could be loaded much hotter than the average factory loading.

Joe

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Model 70 Classics, both are 338's. The one that I have done all of the load developement for is the Stainless Steel Classic. Just today, (12/15), I shot a group using 225gr. Accubonds, over my chrono at 2827fps. The group measured 3/4 of an inch. This is with the factory synthetic stock. The trigger has been adjusted to 3lbs. Other than that, it's just the way it came from the factory. Feeds perfect.

I liked that gun so much that I bought another. It's a new in the box, "Boss" rifle. It had been sitting on the shelf for a few years, so I bought it. I'll start working on loads for it next.

I've been very happy with my Model 70's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe, both rifles have their barrels floated.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote