THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else glass bed the scope mounts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Before I shim, I bore sight to a target and shim with masking tape until the a scope is in the middle of it's vertical adjustment range. While I am doing that, I check that the scope bore sights to the middle of the horizontal range too, in case that needs correcting.

For two piece Weaver mounts, I make narrow shims like dams for the epoxy I glass bed the mount to the receiver. The epoxy must cure with the mount screws loose and the mounts held in alignment.
A scope with rings that are correctly spaced and rotationally aligned makes a good alignment fixture for the mounts while the epoxy cures. It is not easy to get the rings on the scope right. After the epoxy hardens, I take off the scope with rings and tighten the mount screws to the receiver.

That way I don't have to lapp the rings, and scopes can move from rifle to rifle, taking their rings with them.

I don't know anyone else who does this, but I don't know anyone else doing anything like moving a 40X Leupold to 4 different surplus rifles while at the range.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I glass bed the scope in the rings with JB Weld, after lapping them. Sure removes all stress on the scope tube, and eliminates ring marks.
Don

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
That's been my standard way of mounting scopes for at least 12 years. I don't do it quite like you but it amounts to the same thing. I will remove metal from the high mount to help things along in centering the focal plane BEFORE I do the mounting. I also epoxy the screws at the time I epoxy the bases and afix the whole thing to the receiver. I use a few Leupold QRW rings for the scope swapping between rifles.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I used jb weld on the rear base on a mauser that had an ill fit and then redrilled and tap the holes. i needed to gain some heighth so i installed a .075" shim and jb it to the rear base and it came out just right. i used a scope and a bore sighter to aleign the rings. I use the burris z rings and they come off and go back on the money .

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same with mauser that was a very ill fit. I glass bedded the mounts and it shoots very well now.

Posts: 19422 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote