Find
Notify
Tools

firing pin on a cheapy .22lr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted
got a old glenfield mod 25 from my grandfather and it shoots good except for a bunch of misfires.

I pulled it apart and cleaned up the bolt and firing pin but its still not reliable.

I looked at the fireing pin and it looks to be rounded off a bit (its a round type, not a blade like other rimfires I have seen.) and I was thinking this is probably the cause. the spring is in good condition and the pin moves freely

is it worth it to touch it up a bit with a dremel and bring it to more of a point? or should I just leave it and not mess it up anymore?

I dont want to spend any money on it (I paid well under $100 for it) and I doubt it will even be a tack driver due to it sitting around after being used alot. I just want it for plinking at the local indoor range.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything you do to the tip of the firing pin will only lessen its impact depth on a cartridge and increase your problems.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than grinding, what I would do is "draw" it out a bit by tapping it with a hammer on a block. If you've never done that, practice with a nail first. Easy, simple, and usually works fine with .22 FP's...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pedestal:
Rather than grinding, what I would do is "draw" it out a bit by tapping it with a hammer on a block. If you've never done that, practice with a nail first. Easy, simple, and usually works fine with .22 FP's...

i was thinking of grinding as the quick and easy way to do it. as to take apart the bolt I need to get a pin out that looks like its going to be a pain.

I will try to get it out today and if I do I will try drawing the pin a touch and see if it works.

also I will snap a pic of the pin to show you the condition. again it works but it misfires alot (at least once every 10 rds)

one of us
posted Hide Post
It may not be the pin at all. It may be a burr on the chamber edge where the pin impacts it if snapped without a round in the chamber. Check that out before peening the firing pin. It's fairly easy to remove the burr or rather peen it back where it belongs.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
here are some pics of the pin in question

-  -

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut69:
It may not be the pin at all. It may be a burr on the chamber edge where the pin impacts it if snapped without a round in the chamber. Check that out before peening the firing pin. It's fairly easy to remove the burr or rather peen it back where it belongs.

no burr on the chamber.. there is a slight mark but its barely a shadow. so I dont think that would do it. (I could be wrong though)

what I should have done is saved a few shells from the range and one of the shells that misfired... but im not that bright [Razz] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The protrusion look OK to me, maybe try stretching the hammer spring a little and polishing the sides of the firing pin. Also to lengthen the pin you can tap on the entire length with a small hammer.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unstable

Have the headspace checked. A lot of the low cost 22's are made of soft 1018 steel and wear quickly. Especially the bolt actions that use the root of the bolt hanle for a locking lug. The wear increases headspace untill the firing pin does not have enough reach.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
got it apart last night. last night i went to a friends house to work on it (he has more tools then me)

put a old shell in the chamber and test "fired" it.

pulled it apart and took the pin out. cleaned it up some more (wasnt too bad acually) drew it out a tiny bit with a hammer then touched it with a dremel to give it a more pronounced point.

started reassembly. promply lost a screw, spent a hour looking for said screw till it was found stuck to the bottom of a box we pulled something out of earlier finished reassembly and test fired on the same brass.

the impact is alot more defined now then it was so I hope its fixed. ran out of time to get to the range that night (stupid screw) so I havent tested it.. probably this saturday, and if not this sunday.

pulled a $10 scope off my paintball gun (crossman 4x) and stuck it on the rifle. acually it fits nicely and the position is perfect for it. will see how it shoots. if it groups nicely I think i might treat it to a better scope.... after the holiday bills are paid [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
got to shoot it yesterday and it works perfectly now.

50 rnds chambered, 50 pulls of the trigger and 50 bangs.

it grouped ok. I think with some better ammo and a better shooter it will do nicely.