Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 Action
 Login/Join

posted
Where would anyone suggest that I go to find an Remington action, someplace that would not require the mortgage of my first born to purchase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun shops, gun shows, internet, etc. Be prepared to pay a premium.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When they come back into stock, buy one fron Brownells. Plenty of dealers around who will order for cost + $25. You know you'll get one that's new and not someone elses problem that got dumped on the used market.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, forget about buying an action; buy a rifle and throw it all away except for the action. Complete rifles are less than an action from Brownells. Sometimes you can get a cheap scope with it too. And you will have a tent stake for free.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No, forget about buying an action; buy a rifle and throw it all away except for the action. Complete rifles are less than an action from Brownells. Sometimes you can get a cheap scope with it too. And you will have a tent stake for free.

True, however puzzling that may be.

Just like I don't understand how or why the market allows people to buy new Zastava Mausers and make money parting them out. But the economics works...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can only assume that the big guys like Gander, Sheels, Dicks, and Cabelas buy them by the ton to be sold at less than $400, sometimes much less. Brownells would be a small buyer of actions in comparison but you would think a bare action would be cheaper. It ain't. I have guys ask me all the time where to get a Model 700 action; I tell to them to go buy a rifle; I can't get a bare action for that price.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And if you want to build something on it, which apparently you do, sometimes you can do even better price-wise by buying a used Remington M 721 or 722 rifle. Except for the bolt handle they are essentially the same action. I have built myself several switch-barrel rifles using M722 actions, two of which I still have.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought an almost new 25-06 with a 3x9 Leupold for $500. My neighbor needed a scope for his son's new rifle. I sold the scope for $125. Bought mine from a local gunshop. This was the out the door price. They are out there.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifles sold cheap at big retailers have a terrible finish, look like they were blasted with road gravel. Many have machine marks hiding under the rough surface.
The bare actions have a nice finish, at least on the one I bought from Bruno's. Like old 700s
The down side of the bare action is no screws, recoil lug, magazine parts and bottom metal.
I like the "ADL" style with no bottom metal so it is not so bad, Bruno's has a bag of parts with screws, mag parts and a trigger guard at a good price. Just need a recoil lug if used.
Buying a used rifle is a good option.

Mark

Posts: 1236 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long, short action? That might help a bit sir.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
As far as the advice of throwing the rest away....silly at best

Sell the extra parts and put the cash.....however much it may be into the project

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
721's and 722's are great guns/actions

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good luck on trying to sell a M700 30-06 barrel or one of the plastic stocks. They are worth literally, nothing. When I said throw them away, I meant that usually, there is no demand for them and my time is worth more than the ten bucks you might get at auction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 700BDL used at a gun show for $325, stripped it and sold bbl, trigger and stock for $150on the web.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is for a Walnut stock BDL, I assume, and you included the trigger. I was referring to the 700s commonly sold at the mass retailers, ,with plastic stocks. And no one wants a 700 30--06 barrel.