Find
Notify
Tools

Why doesnt anyone use a M48 action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
I was just wondering because I have two M48s that are gorgeous and fun to shoot. I am not interested in cutting one but ya never know later.

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The M48 actions aren't as well-finished as most of the other M98 actions. This means it takes more work to build up a custom rifle, and "work"=time (if working for yourself) or money (if paying someone else to do it). Why bother, when there are other actions available? Also, I seem to recall some barrel fitting difference (vs. M98).

Posts: 9 | Location: eastern Nebraska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer..

I will have to take a look at mine tonight - IIRC they are in good shape - but as stated I wouldnt cut them up I like to shoot them to much..

Again, Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ropes - Where is Deprt, Texas?

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Couple a reasons, one was already mentioned, fit & finish. The "A" series seems to be better made than the M48. Secondly, and perhaps to some more importantly, they are intermediate actions. For most that means fewer stock options. Also, you cannot fit -06 length cartridges inthe magazine.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What zlr said. Enjoy the rifles as is.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You could probably make a dandy 6.5x55 or 7x57 ect out of one, given enough time and energy.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
Ropes - Where is Deprt, Texas?

Deport is located in the North East corner of Lamar County near Paris. Red River / Cotton country Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Habu means by a barrel fitting difference, but my M-48 A has the same exact threads as an m-98. I think the most limiting factor is the shorter length.

Ive got a small ring Spanish 93 with hinged bottom metal that is the exact same length as the m-48, ive thought of using it on an m-48 to build something that employs a 284 Win case, it is very close to the same length as the 8X57.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel fitting difference = Mod. 48 uses what's called a safety breeching system. The "tit" on the left side of the bolt face is ommitted allowing the bolt face to be fitted closer to the breech end of the barrel therefore the cartridge is more fully supported by the chamber. Also, because the bolt is fitted closer to the barrel, a slight extractor slot has to be cut in the barrel breech. Other than that, it is standard LR 98 threads. I don't know if all the M48s are made this way, but, mine is. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like the M48's as well as the 24's for anything on the .308 length case. In my somewhat limited experience, the 24's are easier to clean up, but the 48's can get there with a bit of work. Here's a pic of a 7-08 on an M48 work in progress:

Hubert

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote