THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a left hand short action rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a left hand short action rifle suitable for a small child for his first big game rifle. Anyone know if such a thing is available?

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howard,

There are very few left hand short action rifles made. Savage and Tikka are two that come to mind. There is also a Remington varminter in LH version.

For that reason I've ordered one of the new Montana actions. Best deal I could come up with by far. You'll also be able to order a stock with correct LOP for the youngster.

Good luck with your search

[ 02-23-2003, 13:49: Message edited by: Stu C ]

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I second the suggestion to get a Montana action, if you hurry you can get in on the initial offering of $350, stainless or chrome moly, right or lefthanded, standard bolt face or magnum bolt face.

All in all a great value.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, the montana action is a good recomendation. Just rat hole it somewhere (along with the other sub moa rifles - grrr- no there isn't any damn room in that cabinet). Howard pay the extra $60 and get his initials as part of the serial number. In fact get 2 for him with consequtive serial numbers, chrome moly one standard and one magnum bolt face.

Have to tell you guys something. Howard came up to help one of his employees remove carpeting from my house yesterday ( he or more accurately, his employees are installing wood flooring). He showed up (late), and said lets go shooting. So we loaded up a few rounds of .223 with the help of his lefty/righty son Tyler, who by the way is a gun nut supreme. And headed to the range with his Howards new CZ in .17 hornady rim fire.

I have not shot one of these yet but heard they are getting 1" at 100 yards. Well his didn't. None of the groups were that big. My only shot with it was closer to 1/2". So the blind pig gets another damn bushel of acorns. He could stumble in the woods on a lost rifle and you can be assured it will shoot sub moa. No fault of his mind you. Do any of yu sense some sour grapes here, lol.

[ 02-23-2003, 22:48: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the Montana is a long action only. I would like to have a short action.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
I'm pretty shure those Montana actions are offered in a short action version for the lefty's. I just ordered two of the left handed long action versions and am looking forward to having rifles built around them. I'm with Chic on this one. Buy him a couple of these actions, or more if money allows. He will thank you for years to come for doing so. The "extra" actions can remain as they are until you or your son wants to put out the money to have complete rifles built. At $350 you can't possibly go wrong, and you would be probably be doing everything right.

chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hward,
I just got back from a weekend gun show and have a solution for you. A client of mine had me take his rifle to the show to try and sell so we could build another one. Here are the particulars:

Sako Left hand medium (308)action.
Shilen barell 10" twist.
.257 Roberts caliber.
PM safety, model 70 type
Leupold 3.5 x 10 matte scope
Leupold "Sako" rings.
English walnut stock (gorgeous)
Ebony tip with widow's peak
inletted Talley island type sling swivel attach
Skelton grip and buttplate, checkered center
glass bedded and barrel floated.
wraparound checkering fore and aft
And last but not least, I built it.

It has a few dings from use over the last 4-5 years, but is in great shape.

Price: $2800

Hope I didn't scare you off.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MRC is definately offering both short and long actions, left and right hand. The LH Long, and RH & LH Short have the "Charter Special" on them - $350 I believe.

Sako was another option I was thinking of. They used to build LH rifles. I have the same action that Jim mentioned waiting for me to do something with. So they are out there.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning is offering the Micro-Hunter in a LH short action. They offer it in 22 Hornet,223, 22-250,243, 7-08, 308, 300WSM, 7mmWSM and 270WSM.
It comes with a 20" barrel and a shorter LOP stock.
I have a Left Handed Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08 and love it.
You'll find some folks don't have very nice things to say about Browning rifles, but from someone who has used one from the Artic Circle to the plains of Wy and the hills of Oklahoma in weather that would send most people back to the cabin, I can say it's one of the most accurate and reliable guns I own.
Oh, and by the way, I also have a left handed short action on order from Montana, it's going to be turned into a 358 [Smile]

[ 02-24-2003, 04:14: Message edited by: jbmi ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
does anyone have a web site address for the montana action everyone is talking about

Thanks
Kian

Posts: 88 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here you go: www.montanarifleman.com/

I have a left handed stainless action on order. :-)

[ 02-24-2003, 04:18: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does appear the Monatan Rifle is offering short action left hand actions. I am going to place an order for one.