THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Magnum Cross bolt should be installed when?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
I have always had the crossbolt work done on the pattern so most of it was already done for me.

I would complete the stock shaping to pretty close to final size, but before sanding. Install them like Jeffe said then carefully file the top and bottom of the bolts down to flush with the stock. Remember the center of the bolt is installed flush so the top and bottom will be slightly proud. There is one thing that needs close attention. Make sure you remove the crossbolt filings after every stroke. Otherwise they become embedded into the wood. Not Good.

When you are doing your sanding, make sure you use a fairly hard backer for your sand paper. And, keep part of your sanding block on the crossbolt all of the time. Otherwise, your wood will be dished around the crossbolt.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Red:

I didn't build this stock. Ray Price did and he made his own crossbolts. I used this photo because I already had it on ImageStation.

I have only done a couple with crossbolts. I used Talley's and did all of the work on the pattern. I didn't use a jig. I just did it on the drill press. I drill the through hole to fit(1/4" I believe) then I used a counterbore with interchangable pilot to do the counterbore.

When I got my semi inlett back I drilled the though hole oversized gooped it up with Acra glass including the bottom of the counterbore. Then indexed the crossbolt heads. Presto chango. Dead nuts.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Careful with that jig!!
it'll let you cut far too deep..

IMHO, the center of the bolts (highest part)should be JUST flush with stock.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I know which gun that is, you're taunting us!! :-)

Whose crossbolts do you use? I think that Talley and B-Square both make them. And what do you use to put the rear one in, I hear the jig is only good for the front crossbolt.

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe!

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm putting together a 1909 Mauser in a GA stock. I've finished the inletting and have glassed in the barrel action (turned out nice!). I've started re-shaping the the outside of the stock (barrel area)and plan on getting to the action area soon.

At what point do you put the cross bolts in? Do you leave them a little high and flush them out during the shaping processes or do you sink them a little deeper than the wood line after the stock is shaped? I've never done this before and need a little advice

I've bought a stall jig from Brownells and the operation looks pretty straight foward, but I'm just not sure how the finished product should look.

Thanks,

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote