New
Find
Notify
Tools

separated brass stuck in revolver cylinder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well guys I was out shooting yesterday and had a little problem. While pounding a steel plate with some reduced loads with my 500 S & W one of my brass cases separated about 1" up from the rim. Starline(good) brass, not overloaded or worn out, just one of those things. What is the best way to remove it? If I need to send it out, no problem with that either. Need a little good advise. Thanks.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a 20 guage bore brush. It should be oversize enough to have some "crush" as it is pushed thru the cylinder hole and push out the case wall left there.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Since you are at home there are a couple safe ways you can remove the broken piece. As mentioned the standard DIY way is to shove an oversized brass leaning brush into the chamber and pull it out. Another way is to put a wad of paper in the case up by the mouth and put some epoxy in behind it. When the epoxy cures inside the broken section just tap it out with a dowel or rod.

I did something similar once in the boonies with friends 223, he had the case separate and about the only thing we had was a cleaning rod. I took a bullet out of an unfired round and dropped that in the case, which sealed up the hole and then we melted the lead out of a 308 bullet (had a soupspoon over a fire) and poured it in behind it, and it just tapped right out. Made for an interesting evening around the fire but fixed the gun.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote