Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Bedding
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I'll be receiving my barreled action back from Pac Nor soon. It's a Rem. 700 in 8mm mag, factory contour with length out to 27 in. My question concerns bedding to my McMillan Stock. I usually bed a few inches ahead of the recoil lug, in addition to the action. On this stock the barrel channel is only "hard" for about a inch before hitting the foam type fill. Should I hog out the soft stuff and proceed as I normally do, or just bed out a inch or so ahead of the lug. While not a real heavy weight, I'd like to support the weight of the barrel a little further than a inch. What do you McMillan owners do for bedding? Thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine are all pillar bedded and the bedding extends forward about an inch.My barrels are from .650" to .750" and accuracy has never been a problem.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I bed the Remington as you do. I use wide 10 mil thickness tape on the barrel (its like a thick electricians tape)to float it.Then glass bed to the end of the forearm. Remove the tape & your barrel is floated (clearence = the thickness of the tap you use) & the barrel channel protected.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with McMillan, but with other synthetic stocks I've had good luck with just bedding the action and about an inch of barrel.

When you get it shooting, please let us know how it works. I've been fighting a strong urge to have a 700 of mine rebarreled in 8mm Mag with at least a 26 inch tube. I really like my 24 inch 8 mag and wonder about another 2-4 inches of barrel.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

JMac
I was curious what the extra inches would do as well. It was originally chamber for the 8mag with a 24 inch barrel. I fiqure I can always cut it back. I remember a few years back Boddington did a write up with his 8mag and a 28 inch barrel. If I remember right he was getting .340 WBY velocity's with some rather stout loads. I'll let you know how it works out. For now the waiting game continues..... The anticipation is killing me. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Another thing for the Rem. 700 long action owners. Gander Mtn. has a stock made for them by McMillan. It's a sporter style stock offered in green, gray, and black. The good part is the price. I paid $269. I e-mailed McMillan and was assured it's the real thing and covered by their warranty like the rest of their stocks. Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jmac, I built myself an 8mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel, and I can routinely get 3050-3100 fps with 220 gr bullets. The extra barrel was just made for this cartridge. Makes it really come alive. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote