New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting a new barrel crown
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I machined down a 10/22 barrel for a suppressor, then put an 11 degree crown on it. Accuracy decreased by about 25%, so I think the crown I cut is not good. I had a slight chatter problem when I cut it on the lathe using a crown tool in the tailpiece chuck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You should be able to cut a crown with a regular bit and have it be a straight 11deg angle. I've done this and also used Brownells hand powered crown tools. Is the accuracy the same with the suppressor off? Maybe your getting some mechanical interference? If the suppressor has anything that the bullet shoots through like felt or rubber then it will effect your accuracy also. It could be the turbulence in the can effecting the bullet?????

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After I cut a crown I lap it with series of grits with the base of a Barnes bullet. new bullet with each grit.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The can is not built yet. I was merely testing the barrel after I machined it down to the proper dimensions for the suppressor. It will be a wipeless design. I will try to re-finish the crown then test again. Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote