New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Rifle Basix triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are your thoughts/expereince on rifle basix triggers for the Remington 700. I was thinking of trying one as a replacement trigger on my 700 in 30.06.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in my light gun and have NO complaints. The guys at sinclair tell me they have sold a tractor trailer full with only 1 or 2 returns for defect. I like my jewells too,..but the rifle basix is one hell of a trigger.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one that wouldn't reset,the sear was warped and hung up on the side.I phoned and got a tough luck.I am a polite and reasonable Canadian.

I don't like the much larger clearance around the sear,it's an invitation for debris jamming,the factory design is better by an order of 10.

I haven't used this rifle when hunting in grizzly country,simply too risky.I am ordering a Shilen.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for a M700 and never could get it to let off with no creep and a pull weight under 3 pounds without slam firing.

If I set the sear engagement so there was no creep, I had to set the pull weight to 3 pounds or it would fire if I slammed the bolt hard. Not "slam it like a WWF wrestler" but the speed and force one might normally use working the bolt quickly in a hunting situation.

If I set the sear engagement so that it would not slam fire when set to about 2 1/2 pounds, there was noticeable creep.

A gunsmith could not get it to work any better after tinkering with it - the adjustment screws, that is, not stoning it or modifying it in any way.

My main complaint, however, was also a "no return" policy. I sent it back and politely asked for a refund. I included in my letter the comment that I had taken it to a professional gunsmith, a man whose experience and skill were known to me. All I got back was the trigger, along with a letter denigrating most "so called professional" gunsmiths.

Now I only have this experience with the one so bear that in mind, but it seems by my experience and the previous post that if you don't like it, too bad, you're stuck with it.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MAFM, Save your money and get the trigger you have worked by a qualified gunsmith! I have yet to find a Remington trigger that couldn't be worked down to a VERY low pull weight and still be safe! How light do you want to go on a 30-06 hunting rifle? 3#?,2.5#?,2#? It can be done and safely to! I have 2 factory triggers that are at 18oz! And you can "WWF" slam them if you want too! They won't go until you want them too! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When building a lighter weight hunting rifle-the rifle basix trigger shaves a couple of ounces over the factory original. It looked good when comparing the two units in my hands. I have hunted with Remington 700's for some years and have only had one problem unit. After having the rife go click when I took the safety off was a revelation. I do not want to open the remington trigger debate again. Just curious on those who had hands on experience with this product.

Thanks to everyone who responded and those who still may.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote