barrel porting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just about to port my remmy 1100 barrel,
I have 2 questions.
1. Will it affect my pattern/
2. will I still be able to use felt wads/

The reason I ask is I have visions of the shot being cut as it passes the ported holes..
Or is this a ridiculous theory..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
In theory, the shot doesn't touch the bore so I doubt the shot will be damaged by the ports. I've patterned shotguns before and after porting and the density of the pattern remains the same.

For recoil control I would recommend having the forcing cone lengthened and polished before cutting holes.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES it can as for felt wads don't know as I don't use them . Key is how well the cones are polished as

well as burs removed on porting job !!!. In my case with my SKB and Beretta it closed a noticeable

gap upper right quadrant of top barrel in the SKB ; As for the Beretta it became tighter patterned

with higher velocity loads . I wish I had checked it before with standard AA trap loads but didn't ,so I

don't know what if any thing it did for that part of the equation ?. It hits what I'm aiming at though

with all the loads I use in it . Far better than before having forcing cones extended polished and

porting but there again may be muzzle climb reduction . I was Never Sorry I had either done especially

my SKB as it FIXED a severe hole in the pattern like an 8"-12" gaping Hole !!!.

http://www.magnaport.com/sgun.html

http://www.shotgunreport.com/T...acts/ConesBores.html

An exert from the above .

It is vital that the lengthened cones be properly polished as any
roughness in this area will pick up a lot of plastic from the wads. Tom
Roster claims that the maximum beneficial cone length is 1 3/4" and that
longer cones do not improve things. This may be so, but the Technoid
has observed that extra long 4" to 6" cones as done by The Shotgun
Shop and Seminole seem to be able to take an absolutely mirror polish.
The shorter cones with their sharper angle may be more difficult to
polish correctly and never seem to buff up as well.

Rumor has it that fiber wads do not perform well in guns with
long cones due to gas blowby. This is baloney. The Technoid's
checkered past included shooting tens of thousands of 3 1/2 dram Federal
T123 fiber wad International Skeet loads through Belgian B-25s with
lengthened cones and there was never a problem. Modern plastic wads
present no difficulty whatsoever and appear to be able to properly
obturate in a sewer pipe. Long forcing cones should cost you $50 to
$150 and are worth it.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks!
But you will have to pardon my ingnorance here, or its been lost in translation, "Forcing Cone" is that what us British would refer to as choke?

if its choke you are referring to then I can polish it no problem. I reamed out the 30" barrel from full to 1/2 last year, although the finish was smooth I perhaps should of polished it.

regards
griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry never read the links, now understand a little more.

regards
Griff

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The forcing cones is the tapered area between the chamber and the bore. The standard forcing cone is short and the change in diameter from chamber to bore is abrupt which causes pressures to climb (increased recoil) as the wad and shot struggle up the cone and into the bore which can spill and damage lead shot causing holes in your pattern. By lengthening and polishing the forcing cone, the transition of the wad and shot from chamber to the bore is much smoother reducing the tendency for the increased pressure spike (less recoil) which results in a more controlled and uniform pattern. Lengthening and polishing the forcing cone is the number one biggest improvement you can do to a shotgun. That is IF it is done correctly.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
griff, from my experience, they will both help felt recoil and did actually even and tighten my patterns in my 1100. I had the forcing cone lengthened 4" first and that did a lot for recoil. Next I had it professionally ported and while it did lessen felt recoil, the major benefit was an even and somewhat tighter pattern. It also allows me to shoot Foster type slugs from an IC choke into a 3" group off-hand at 75 yards for IPSC shooting.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can someone point me in the direction of how to lengthen the forcing cones

Regards
Griff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's long forcing cone reamer, not hard to do. Polish it out when you are done. Chrome lined barrels are a PITA, I usually unplate the chamber and forcing cone area before reaming. A carbide reamer will do it but I have seen some that left things a bit ragged.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several 1100s that would not cycle properly after porting, you may or may not have to increase the size of the gas port in the barrel. Also porting gives you very little bennefit in a shotgun. If your shooting 600-700 rounds over two days as trap shooters do it may be worth it but for hunting or casual shooting it probably is not.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote