New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 52 Pre A receiver cracked lug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester 52 pre A model with a cracked lug.They are famous for this but is there any solution to fix the receiver.
Could it be Tig welded and built up ?Is there anybody who has done this.

Here is an image of the receiver and cracked lug with an red arrow pointing it out.

Posts: 35 | Location: North West Nevada | Registered: 31 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not hardto weld , but would have to be retempered

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about micro-tig would you still have to re-temper?

Posts: 35 | Location: North West Nevada | Registered: 31 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do they crack ? Is that a case hardened receiver ? You should always temper after welding . Tempering may be only about 500 F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can read about the problem here at this link

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=326703

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one of these before but if I was given the task of fixing it, the photo above and those in the link GaryMD has provided look to show the lug on the bolt collar is reasonably substantial and could be cut back a bit to allow the cracked lockup lug to be extended forward to provide a much stronger design, either an extra lug piece pinned in place and welded or just the original welded back in place and then built forward, shaped and hardened. I would go with pinning which in itself using a hardened pin or one that will harden when welding will provide support off the action sidewall.

The original lug which is seems notoriously prone to cracking is quite visibly a poorly engineered design.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
even a laser weld will take away some temper

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spent so many years finding why parts break !You'd think they would learn but they don't .Many failures are just poor basic engineering design ,sharp corners etc. Roll Eyes

The new weld can introduce new problems ,even a small laser weld. Just like EDM - you better temper after EDM even though the damage is 0.001" thick ! 2020