THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping away rust while doing metalwork?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see many photos here of great metal work while the gun is still in the white. I imagine some of these projects are completed over months or years of time.

What do you use to keep rust at bay while working on metal in the white?

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
We don't have much problem with rust in this area. We're a pretty dry climate here in Utah. But if I were worried about long term protection for "in the white" projects, I would want to wipe off all finger prints with a lightly oiled rag between sessions.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust from dampness is an issue here in Michigan. I spray bare metal with WD-40 if it is going to be idle for a few weeks. If a long time is anticipated, I wipe down with motor oil.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here (Michigan) I never had too much of a problen since I use a lot of oil when I do machine work. I just don't clean it off when I'm done. Mostly laziness, but no rust is a good side effect.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote