New
Find
Notify
Tools

RH vs LH twist for accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any inherent difference in accuracy between RH and LH twist barrels in rifles? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. The difference exists because of theories about the rifle "screwing in" to the firer's shoulder when being fired and/or "unscrewing" the barrel from the receiver!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
maybe its for Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere - like the way the water spirals as it goes down the drain in the sink...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So for most African hunting, LH twist would be preferable Wink

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is called the "correolis" effect.

You need two rifles, a RH twist when hunting in the northern hemisphere and a LH twist for the southern. bsflag

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
And a smooth-bore when standing on the Equator stir

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A LH twist tends to unscrew your cleaning rod tips

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to break in here with some smart ass remark, but I can see youse guys already beat me to 'em... Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

Only if you clean from the muzzle. Big Grin

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
quote:

Rojelio

I hope you are not serious in Making that remark

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
quote:

Rojelio

I hope you are not serious in Making that remark

Hey Jim, look again. Big Grin

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always thought that the "correolis" effect can't be helped in a single barrel rifles, but a double might benefit from one 1x RH & 1 XLH twist. Not at dangerous game distance but in a lighter rifle for plains game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
maybe its for Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere - like the way the water spirals as it goes down the drain in the sink...

The water down the drain is a wive's tale.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know why a L/H or R/H twist is chosen? (It sure does unscrew a cleaning brush!)

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a curious observation from left hand target shooters (myself included) and rt hand twists.

With a good solid wind zero at short range(300 yds) our zero shifts left from 1/2 min to up to 1 to 1.25 min at 1000. Ive asked many of my rt hand customers about this and none seem to encounter this.

Always have wanted to screw on LH twist barrels for them to enjoy the bitching and head scratching!

Alan Warner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I understand why there are so many different twists available. They are for shooting in
different directions.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet's rotation will alter & actually curve its flight path at long range, curving to either the right or left depending upon the direction of twist. This flight path alteration is completely independent of the coriolis force that affects storms and drains in each hemisphere, as I'm sure the jokesters already know.

I first observed this behavior back in the '60s on the 600-yd range at Trinidad and further evidence can be found by examining the open rear sights on any 1903 Springfield or 1884/1888 Springfield trapdoor. You'll note that the sight's track is angled to one side as the range increases, to correct for the right-hand twist. The US Army Ordnance Dept spent much time experimenting to find the right compensation angle, and it's remarkable how close the sights are calibrated when the proper bullet and load is used.

No difference in accuracy, IMO the only difference is in POI at extended range.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe:
Well documented and available for all to read. Good post.
What I was getting at is I think because a rt. twist bbl. torques into the face of a rt. hand shooter and out on a lefty there is greater mechanical structure to hold the shot through barrel time, thus less wind zero deviation.

I think I read somewhere that Pope would build a barrel twist to match the shooters hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a tendency for bullets from a Right hand twist to rise in a right to left crosswind and drom in a left to right crosswind but as I recall the effect at 200yards ammounted to something like 0.008"

The opposite can said to be true about left hand twists
in the same crosswind.

In a pistol it makes a difference because on handguns like say.. a 45ACP torquing of the handgun is far more noticeable.

I was subjected to a blind test of left and right hand twist barrels in a 1911 and I could pick the right hand twist barrel easily... the RH twist twists into our hand, the LH twist tries to twist out (for a right handed shooter)

It was enough of a difference that when I bought barrels from BarSto and they asked left or right twist I had no doubt I wanted the RH twists.

for a rifle? for real world purposes? I doubt it makes damn bit of difference.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you want to see how much your bullets deviate from the mythical straight line-of-sight - fire a few tracers in dim light conditions.

Wm.S.Ladd , sir - you obviously have little sense of fun in life to have made so bold a statement
quote:
The water down the drain is a wive's tale.

My wive just told me that our Southern Hemisphere water spirals in a clockwise direction so it must be true....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The northern and southern hemisphere argument is a nonsense as Britain had in the 20th Century and Empire that not only spanned BOTH but some groups of colonies that straddled the Equator too!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about toilet bowls, but IIRC it's my impression that cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons rotate in different directions in the Northern vs Southern hemispheres and that these storms never actually cross the equator but rather will always move away from it, due to their spin as compared to and affected by the Earth's rotation. It's actually physics, and fairly basic Physics 101 at that.

But, like Lacey J (Dalton) said in the song, "I've been wrong before!" Perhaps some more-experienced geographer can enlighten us?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
You better listen to your wives. Stuart Elliott sent me a short video of his crapper flushing in a different direction. He lives in Queensland.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Crikey Butch - how long have they had flushing toilets in Australia???? Must be a recent innovation .... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
Stuart was probably visiting a Kiwi when the photo was made.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote