Find
Notify
Tools

New Benchtop....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted
I didn't want the rifle guys to think we pistol guys have no interest in rifles, so I got a new benchtop for playing with 10/22's.... Smiler

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup - that should do it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Nice piece, good size for pistol barrels. Earl.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Probably ok for making pins and such. Doubt it has enough distance between centers for any serious pistol barrels. MIGHT have enough swing if its a gap bed. Nice paint job though. Since I'm almost 78 I WOULD probably give my left one for it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I hadn't posted in a while and thought the humour behind this monstrous lathe would be appreciated.

It is a gap bed and 12 ft long. I tried a pistol barrel crown in it, but found that the breeze of the 80 lb chuck spinning next to my ear, as I checked the final polish,...more than a little intimidating...lol

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
monstrous lathe

Thats the size I started on three decades ago, good size for the one lathe shop. That pistol barrel you're shouldering however................

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I WANT ONE

Nice catch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck1911

From one extreme to the shorter extreme
Both will work, but mine is an experiment.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Les, is that in the back of your RV? Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, it will fit in the front compartment and I can repair my RV along the way. Always need something fixed!!! I found this lathe on Craig's List still in the box for half price. I am glad that I'm not trying to make a living with this machine.

This is the replacement Shilen barrel and it was a little smaller than the Krieger #2, but I believe that it shoots a better groups. This is the target I test fired on Wed. Some of us never stop playing with toys. Ha Ha

one of us
posted Hide Post
That'll work.

I did my first dozen or so rebarrels on a 20" x 80" Zubi lathe and then went to a 16x67 Kingston and then I got my own lathe for the garage , a 12x36.

They all work the same.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got my new to me clausing colchester 13 set up hope to someday get my confidence up to chamber a barrel

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Les, is that in the back of your RV? Big Grin

rotflmo

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I didn't mean to steal your thread here. When I seen that big lathe it reminded me of the time when I was running a big lathe and using a hoist to load the parts into the machine. It was like 22 bullets flying at you all the time.

Les Brooks, retired old fart

Rv'ing to many places before I check out

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
You didn't steal anything. We gunsmiths can do some funky stuff and I am always up for a good laugh!
You may not know me, but John is one of my best friends and will attest the fact I love to have a good laugh....at your expense or mine....lol
everyones fair game....lol

I have no clue what Im gonna do when I change the chuck...no hoist, overhead or otherwise, and the 3 jaw is the smallest....lol

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Ill have to tell the story someday of running my toolpost into the chuck on the small lathe, while crowning an Officers model Barrel....

rotflmo

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
This is another fixture thats gonna be fun...

Don't tell John though...I'm gonna get him to accurize it....lol

We don't have the luxury of all of Saeed's friends to test stuff....lol

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no clue what Im gonna do when I change the chuck...no hoist, overhead or otherwise, and the 3 jaw is the smallest....lol

I have I bolts in the ceiling over my big lathes, just use a chainfall. Make a wooden cradle that you can slide in and out just under the fitted chuck. Earl.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about putting it on a trailer so I can borrow it on weekends? It would be a welcome addition to my two smaller lathes...... Bill

Posts: 98 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 08 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KS gunsmith:
How about putting it on a trailer so I can borrow it on weekends? It would be a welcome addition to my two smaller lathes...... Bill

rotflmo

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have I bolts in the ceiling over my big lathes, just use a chainfall. Make a wooden cradle that you can slide in and out just under the fitted chuck. Earl.

Another option would be use a cherry picker
(engine hoist) Like Earl said the wooden cradel
on chucks that size are a must. Nice lathe by the way!

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-9 krippler:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the tips and the compliments. Its mine to use, but I don't own it.......yet,lol.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
quote:
Originally posted by k-9 krippler:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the tips and the compliments. Its mine to use, but I don't own it.......yet,lol.The electric Carriage traverse is cool on this thing....

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you don't get any customer complaints, either!!

I mean if you have a guy working for you who can shoot that pistol barrel "NRA Bullseye style"....) beer

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Two of those might make a nice double....lol

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/