New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope clearance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hoping someone with more experience than me would be able to answer this question. Is .010-.015" enough clearance between the barrel and the scope? I just bought a Cooper that came with Tally rings and I don't want to buy another pair if I don't have to. They're a little expensive.
Thanks for the assistance,
Darnell

Posts: 116 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Not if you have scope caps! Not being frivolous here, just practical. The caps that thread inside the scope cover might be fine, but they might have a "rim" that projects beyond the outside of the scope.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Excuse my ignorance, but what in the hell does that have to do with it? I think you meant scope covers, not caps.

[ 04-07-2003, 18:50: Message edited by: Jim Kobe ]

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was just a thread on this subject, but if you can see daylight between barrel and scope you should be OK. In the other thread Ray (I think) mentions that you should watch things as the barrel heats up (probably not an issue with your cooper)and this is good advice. I have had a few scopes that were mounted about as close as they could possibly be to the barrel and have monitered them as things heated up without any problems.

Chuck

P.S. for scope covers, use the Bikini scope cover or a section of tire tube and you should be good to go if you can't get conventional covers (laughable plastic things that come with some scopes) to fit.

[ 04-07-2003, 20:42: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as far as those laughable plastic things go,..I just cut a notch in them that will allow them to fit over the objective, while clearing the diameter of the barrel. Not the prettiest thing, but works and eliminates the need to buy anything else.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JustC, ditto on the notch.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally, the closer the better. If you can see ANY clearance between the barrel and the scope's objective bell, that's fine. If you heated the barrel enough to expand it against the scope, the bore would be several thousandths oversized!

With a genuinely low scope, you may have trouble with bolt clearance. Be sure to check that.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote