New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-barrel question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay - there's some sharp gunsmiths out here so what do you think? I've got a 24" .308 Hart match barrel which was taken off my Win 70 target rifle some time ago and replaced with a 30" Palma contour Krieger. All's well with the target rifle.

I've also got a Rem 700 Varmint Special with the original Remington varmint contour .308 barrel. This barrel is wearing out, accuracy is quickly going downhill after 4000+ rounds. I think the barrel life was hurt by extensive rapid fire practice sessions.

Can the 24" Hart from my Model 70 be put on my Rem 700? What needs to be done? Last time the Hart was shot it put nine shots into 3/4" at 300 yards so you can understand why I'm interested in using the barrel instead of just having it sit around as a 24" paperweight... Thanks in advance, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be used in one of two ways.
1. Set back and Rechamber.
2. sleeve and rethread.
Of the two the setback would be preferable to me. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Guy,

Remove the entire threaded end and re-machine a new one for the Remington. This will cost you about 1 inch.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the last two posters. Setback and rechambered barrels can be exceptional.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have one less stainless steel paperweight taking up space! Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote