Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Springfield Heat Treat ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
If you are building a good high numbered 03 Springfields ans lap the lugs, etc... Does the receiver and bolt have to be re-heat treated?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chris

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No. You aren't going to remove that much metal. Do you have a double heat treat or nickel steel receiver. Doesn't matter anyway just that NS receivers (1.3-1.5 million range) are butter soft and double heat treat are quite hard.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
I have both. I don't have the receiver here to get the exact serial number (believe it is a double heat treat) That I ended up taking off abut 0.010" or a little more when facing the receiver.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The risk I see in lapping a double heat treat is wearing down the case hardening surface. Once that is gone you are down to soft carbon steel.

I am not a fan of lapping or removing metal from these older actions because I have had the cocking cam in a Mauser wear out, and I have seen lug galling. The case tends to be thicker on the older stuff, what I have seen on modern steels, the case was not as thick.

Nickle steel receivers probably don't have much of a case at all, I think the heat treat was just a quench.